FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Engine start troubles

My VIN:    10541

Engine start troubles

Hello All,

I need some help. I should preface this by saying that I have basic mechanical skills, but am no expert. So please feel free to break any advice down into baby steps and descriptions.....I take no offense to that and rather appreciate any help given.

So heres the short and sweet, VIN 10541 has been running just fine since March 2017 as back last year and the year before she had a lot of work done by DMC Houston to get the engine running just right. In short just about all the fuel components were replaced or rebuilt, brakes and tires checked, transmission rebuilt, etc.

Fast forward to the last 6 months and I have been driving with no issues and have made sure when I get extremly busy with life to at least weekly fire up the engine until it gets warm and the fans come on, and cycle everything through.

Last week I went to fire up the engine, and the car wouldnt start or turn over. I tried again and got the car to fire up and run for about 2 minutes, then it just randomly shut off. I went to restart the car multiple times and it would start up immediatley and immediatley shut off. The first step I took was to check and charge the battery thinking maybe it didnt have enough juice to fully cycle, but even when the battery charged back up I had no luck. I know it isnt the starter because it does fire up and if I hold the key to the start postion the car will stay on and I can hear the starter continue to go. It will even allow me to rev the engine for a second, but again, when I let the key go the car kills over. I tried the famous plug swap, which I was so excited to figure out because Ive never done it before, but no luck. The tempature here was easily below 20 degrees last week, but even today at 65 degrees, it didnt help.

All this to say, Im a clueless newbie who sucks with troubleshooting cars, and I could use all the help I can get. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Respectfully,
    Jared

My VIN:    03572

If it dies when you let off the start position, your resistor connections are probably bad.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

That was quick, thanks for the direction Dave. Now this is where I look like an idiot, and a newbie, but where are the resisitors located and how can I verify and or troubleshoot them as Ive never done this before?

Very Respectfully,
    Jared

The two white "tubes" on the firewall in the engine compartment on the drivers side. There are about four wires that clip onto those resistors that you need to be sure are tight. Just pulling each one off at a time and stick it back on should let you know if the connections are tight. That will also clean the contacts.
    Dave M vin 03572

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

starting

I agree with Dave, same thing happened
    to me, same fix.....

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Thirded. Happened to me to.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Did I mention I love you guys....I did just that and sure enough she fired up and ran like a champ! Dave thank you again!

Very Respectfully,
    Jared

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The terminals on the ballast resistor are steel and rust. When they get rusty you get a bad connection. Clean the terminals with a small steel brush and charge the battery up again.
    David Teitelbaum

Will do. Thank you!

I'm pretty sure the resistor terminals are stainless steel since I could not solder the wires to them.
    Dave M vin 03572

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast