FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Replacements for rear induction grille gaskets?

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Replacements for rear induction grille gaskets?

Hey all. So these gaskets seem to be NLA, and nowhere on the parts diagrams. They’re made of that injected hard foam that has turned to dust everywhere it was used on the car, and I’d like to replace mine.

I did one of them when I had the rear quarter panel off with some of that square self-adhesive weatherstripping foam, but I’m really not happy with how it looks; the foam has big pores and is a light grey that looks obvious against the black pontoon.

What is everyone else using for these seals?

These are the vents I mean, that lead to the engine intake/power antenna/ areas inside the rear pontoons

http://store.delorean.com/p-9356-ind...-grill-rh.aspx
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Hey all. So these gaskets seem to be NLA, and nowhere on the parts diagrams. They’re made of that injected hard foam that has turned to dust everywhere it was used on the car, and I’d like to replace mine.

I did one of them when I had the rear quarter panel off with some of that square self-adhesive weatherstripping foam, but I’m really not happy with how it looks; the foam has big pores and is a light grey that looks obvious against the black pontoon.

What is everyone else using for these seals?

These are the vents I mean, that lead to the engine intake/power antenna/ areas inside the rear pontoons

http://store.delorean.com/p-9356-ind...-grill-rh.aspx
    Hi There,
    Here is what I used:

Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You can use square weatherstripping or you can take the old seals, cut them open, clean out what's left of the old foam, make new foam "doughnuts" and then glue the covering back together. The tough part is if you don't take everything all apart you must cut the seal so you can remove it and reinstall it around the duct. Just hide the seam around the back where no one can see it.
    David Teitelbaum

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Hmm, those shank washers are an interesting idea. They look a little short for my taste but are a decent option.

The deteriorated original seals are long gone so rebuilding them isn’t an option. And as I said, I don’t like the look of the weatherstripping which I have already installed.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    11789

I replaced the rear speakers with new elliptical speakers. Each speaker had a rubber ring covering the magnet and this had to be removed to enable the new speakers to fit the rear interior panels.
    These rubber rings/doughnuts were perfect for this.
    Currently resurrecting Vin # 11789 - One of the batch of 50 exported to the Middle East in 1982.

My VIN:    5462

Club(s):   (DCH)

Why not buy a small sheet of self adhesive closed cell foam and cut your own rings.

You could perhaps use a heated cookie cutter ring of the right diameter to cut/melt the foam to the correct size/shape.

J

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    James Russell-Grant
    VIN# 5462 Grey Automatic, Purchased in January 2000
    www.printsolid.co.uk