FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: DeLorean Motor Club Utah 2018 National Park Tour

My VIN:    10907

DeLorean Motor Club Utah 2018 National Park Tour

Hey everybody in the southwest and mountain states (or who would like to visit the southwest and mountain states), DeLorean Motor Club - Utah is planning a road trip through the Southern Utah national parks next summer!

We're planning to spend June 10-15 driving from Salt Lake City to Moab, Bryce Canyon and St. George, with tours through Arches, Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks. It's a great opportunity to see some of America's most beautiful landscapes and get some amazing photo ops with your car!

Registration includes lodging at the Moab Retreat House, Best Western Ruby's Inn in Bryce Canyon and Best Western Abbey Inn in St. George, plus tech sessions on June 9 and 15. We're working on getting a support vehicle and mechanic to join us so that all drivers can participate with confidence.

Registration for the full event is $500 for DMCUT members (including out of state supporting members) and $750 for non-members. Separate pricing is available for Moab, Bryce and St. George but the full event price is the best value.

Details including trip maps, preliminary schedule and registration link available on our website here: https://www.dmcutah.com/

I hope we'll see some of you there!

Update: a more detailed itinerary is now available on our website.

www.dmcutah.com/events/2018-park-tour-itinerary/

We still have rooms available so if you're interested, be sure to register by April 30 to secure your spot!

Last week to register at our discounted rate! $500 per 2 people + 1 car, includes lodging in Moab, Bryce and St. George + tech sessions!

Despite numerous hurdles and setbacks, we got this show on the road! Three DeLoreans were able to attend and our club president joined us for part of the way in his Tesla. A bit smaller group than we'd hoped but still not too bad for a first-time event put on by a club nobody knows exists and starting/terminating in a city that's a 6+ hour drive from every other major city in the western US.

Jim and Jeannie C. brought their 100K+ mile D from north of SLC and Mike N. had his teenage daughter who'd just gotten her learner's permit racking up her supervised-driving hours. The D isn't a car I would have wanted to learn to drive stick on so if she can handle it on all those winding park roads she can probably handle anything.

We were fortunate to have Scotti from Bailey's Automotive join us for the Moab leg and he was able to fix an issue with one member's car having lost all the shims off its passenger side TAB before we got on the 110-mile no-services stretch of I-70 between Moab and Richfield.

Charging up at lunch on the way to Moab: 20180610_134921.jpg

Scenic Green River: 20180610_160731.jpg

On the way to Arches: 20180611_094110.jpg

Hole N the Rock: 20180612_093710.jpg This place wasn't on our original itinerary but it was pretty neat. This husband and wife back in the 50s built their house and a diner inside this mountain, and you can take a tour and see it preserved as it was back then. They also had a lot of other kitschy, weird stuff like a sculpture of jeep made out of license plates and an atomic hair styler. It wasn't far from Moab so if you're out that way, it's worth a look.

We didn't end up doing Dead Horse Point, opting instead for a scenic byway drive around Moab. 20180612_173155.jpg This was by Jug Handle Arch: 20180612_190532.jpg 20180612_190314.jpg One of my Instagram buddies thought that one looked so much like an alien landscape that he photoshopped some astronauts into it https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj8_xSrl...trodsandrobots

Last pit stop before hitting the road again: 20180613_101235.jpg

A scenic viewpoint: 20180613_105714.jpg

Are we there yet? 20180613_155907.jpg

We couldn't decide where to park: 20180613_193502.jpg

Dessert and a show at Ebenezer's. I bet the Corvette club was jealous. 20180613_195907.jpg

I didn't get a lot of good pix at Zion because the roads were too congested and curvy but it was a pretty drive. While we were waiting to go through the one-way tunnel we had our doors up and I heard one tourist yell "Forget the park, look at THAT!" I think there were more people taking pix of us than of the scenery, LOL. One of our guys was counting and said over 100 people took pictures of us on the way from Bryce to St. George. One of my favorites was a British couple who wanted to get a pic of the Utah licence plate with Delicate Arch on it so she could post it with the pic she'd just taken of the real Delicate Arch, and she was super psyched to see my car with it on there. I had my BTTF shirt on too so she had me pose for a pic with the car. We made everybody's day when we stopped for photo ops, it was a blast. We probably could have paid for the whole trip if we'd charged people $5 per pic, haha.

In St. George we went out to see Ready Player One at the discount theater by our hotel and when we got back we found another DeLorean! Mike N. knew a guy who knew a guy who had one, and he came over to meet us. 20180614_211221.jpg IMG_20180614_210108.jpg His was a 106XX VIN gray automatic. Naturally we got a few more looky-loos with 4 cars in a row!

We all made it home safe with no car disasters It was a fun (if exhausting) event, hopefully more people will join us on the next one! We may not try to cram as much stuff into so many days next time. Some options we're considering are another summer trip to the Idaho or Wyoming parks, or taking a couple days to do a Southern Utah park on the way to DeLorean Weekend. the 2019 DOA Expo is shaping up to be in the northwest so maybe we can do something in conjunction with that, too.

See you in the future...

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

While we didn't do it in the Delorean, my wife and I did the big 5 southern Utah parks last summer in the RV. Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Arches and Canyonlands. Words cannot describe how breathtaking they are. Each was unique and beautiful in its own way. If pushed, I'd have to say Bryce Canyon was my favorite. They (especially Zion) get very crowded in the summer months and it is of course very hot. I hope the 3 Ds that made the journey had very good AC and had new windshield glass with UV and IR protection....
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    While we didn't do it in the Delorean, my wife and I did the big 5 southern Utah parks last summer in the RV. Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Arches and Canyonlands. Words cannot describe how breathtaking they are. Each was unique and beautiful in its own way. If pushed, I'd have to say Bryce Canyon was my favorite. They (especially Zion) get very crowded in the summer months and it is of course very hot. I hope the 3 Ds that made the journey had very good AC and had new windshield glass with UV and IR protection....
    I'd just had my compressor replaced the week before, which I was grateful for when we were doing the slow-speed drives. Ironically I'd made the extra effort to get it fixed more for the sake of my passenger than for myself, but she turned out to be acclimated to Vegas weather and could take it or leave it, LOL. I think one of the others was on the fritz, but we made it without anyone getting heatstroke. Stock windshields, but I for one triple-layered the sunblock

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Hot! Hot !

My son last August canyoning in Zion

outdoors all week without any AC.

Rather him than me
    Attached Images
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"