FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Refinishing the Sunshade Louvre

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

I heard somewhere that if you are going to spray the louvres spray from a distance to get the right texture. Normally you'd want a wet coating on the surface. To get near the original texture, you don't want the wet look. By spraying farther from the surface, it has time to dry a bit and not flow.

Probably best to practice on something else and on the bottom of the louvre before doing the top. Too far and it won't adhere, too close and it will flood, too close and it will coat to heavily.

As far as removing the whiting/fading/oxidising/etc ... I had moderate luck with Back to Black but I have really good luck with a hydrocarbon based SS spray cleaner applied to the louvres first and followed with B2B. The cleaner removes the white. The B2B enhances and protects it.

YMMV but it is worth experimenting first (just don't use any silicone based products as they mess with paint adhesion)
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

I personally like flat black tractor paint, think it’s the case tractor stuff I use. Comes out more a semi gloss then flat and is rather durable. Paint my tubs the same

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Aha. So I was wrong. I wonder where I got that idea?
    Not sure, but I must have read it from the same source! I thought for sure they weren't painted and that was why they absorbed Back to Black and other silicon based products.

Now that Rob mentions it though, mine has a small chip on the top edge and sure enough, it is white. I should have put 2 and 2 together on my own on this one.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I knew they had to be painted and that is what sparked me to ask for clarification earlier. Mine has cracks and chips that show white under, same with the under body. The only thing I could think from that comment was possibly a gel coat like a boat has. Nonetheless, thank you for the comments. I'm not looking for full gloss but not flat so I guess maybe a semi gloss. I didn't know these had a texture at all, mine seems completely smooth. I used to use tire shine on this to get it some what shiny, if I could find a paint to do that, it would be great.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    15275

sem

I just refinished mine after fixing some minor stress cracks.. sem makes a texture coating to use before the trim black. .comes out looking pretty damn close to factory in my opinion.. also matches the mirrors very well.

My VIN:    5983

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    Not sure, but I must have read it from the same source! I thought for sure they weren't painted and that was why they absorbed Back to Black and other silicon based products.
    I've definitely read the same somewhere also.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

3 against 1 must mean this Grady chap is wrong. What would he know anyway only being it the game for almost 40 years. Jonny come lately.

We all must have read the same thread on here before because Rob is right, the cracks are white.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    3 against 1 must mean this Grady chap is wrong. What would he know anyway only being it the game for almost 40 years. Jonny come lately.

We all must have read the same thread on here before because Rob is right, the cracks are white.
    I have to wipe behind my ears every day! That being said I have about 20 lightly damaged sunshades in my back storage room and every one is bleeding white. I've repaired many more and never came across a black resin one. The source is a neophyte.
    Rob

My VIN:    10309

I spray can painted a rustoleum flat black on my sunshade the same time I did the trunk, engine compartment and door jams then painted them all the same time with a matte finish clear coat from auto zone using a harbor freight hvlp gun. Easy and they all come out the same. Maybe I will also do the rocker panel cover and windshield trim too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2