FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Fixing Impact Absorber

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Fixing Impact Absorber

Wondering if anyone has any good ideas on the best way to fix Impact absorber...as in reattaching the foam stuff to the plate.

I got a use one and the ends came off in shipping. I dont care much about the stuff where the lights go..just the ends.

Also any thoughts on something to coat it with after fixed to help prolong the life of it a bit longer.

20180117_130059.jpg20180117_130108.jpg

Thanks
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Wondering if anyone has any good ideas on the best way to fix Impact absorber...as in reattaching the foam stuff to the plate.

I got a use one and the ends came off in shipping. I dont care much about the stuff where the lights go..just the ends.

Also any thoughts on something to coat it with after fixed to help prolong the life of it a bit longer.

20180117_130059.jpg20180117_130108.jpg

Thanks

Get a can of spray foam. You can use it to glue things and replace any missing parts. Use it sparingly, it expands A LOT! You can cut it down after it hardens.
    David Teitelbaum

Any suggestions on brand of foam, etc? What about glue to attach the ends to the plate?
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    6313

Fixing Impact Absorber

I used IMPAXX foam. My stock rear impact absorber was water logged. While not dis-integrating it clearly was not likely to provide any impact protection. I bought a 2ft x 4ft block of IMPAXX 700 and carved two pieces into the same shape as the original impact foam. I then painted it with a rubberized paint layer to keep out water and dirt.

http://coastal-automotive.com/produc...ystyrene-foam/

You can buy it from RollbarPadding.com Adhesives need to be carefully chosen because some will dissolve the foam (ask me how I know).

The replacement foam is much lighter than the original foam (even when not water logged - my front impactor was dry but the outer coating was broken).

Jeff
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

Ahh if only I had heard of that stuff before I spent the money on this one. Something to keep in mind for the future if needed.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon