Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Clutch stuck? Pedal will not depress - Suggestions?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date:  Aug 2016

    Posts:    29

    Clutch stuck? Pedal will not depress - Suggestions?

    This the car that just came out of 34yrs of dry storage. Brakes and everything seem to be working properly. But the clutch pedal just will not depress.

    Now I will say I have NOT tried to force it hard. I know they are heavier than a modern clutch from what I hear, but I've pressed on it semi-hard and no movement.

    Is this something that would likely pop-free with a little harder pressure or are there other concerns or damage that could occur by doing that?

    I guess being slammed together for 34yrs could have just caused it to bind

  2. #2
    EFI'd dn010's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Location:  Florida: Pinellas County

    Posts:    1,481

    My VIN:    5003

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by hillbillysims View Post
    This the car that just came out of 34yrs of dry storage. Brakes and everything seem to be working properly. But the clutch pedal just will not depress.

    Now I will say I have NOT tried to force it hard. I know they are heavier than a modern clutch from what I hear, but I've pressed on it semi-hard and no movement.

    Is this something that would likely pop-free with a little harder pressure or are there other concerns or damage that could occur by doing that?

    I guess being slammed together for 34yrs could have just caused it to bind
    The clutch system is hydraulic - if it is the pedal that will not go down, your clutch master cylinder is likely seized.
    -----Dan B.

  3. #3
    Delorean Guru
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Northern NJ

    Posts:    6,612

    My VIN:    10757

    Club(s):   (DMA)

    Don't even try to force it. Figure on rebuilding the brake system, clutch hydraulics, cooling system, fuel system, struts, weatherstripping, tires, wiper blades, battery, recalls, and electrical system updates. Once you get the car to drive you will find other items to fix like window motors, speedometer, door adjustments, antennae, etc. It is possible the clutch mechanism itself is stuck. If it is rusted up enough you may have to remove the transmission and clutch and clean it up to make it work. That's why any estimate is only an estimate, it is impossible to know exactly what needs to be done to a "sleeper".
    David Teitelbaum

  4. #4
    EFI'd dn010's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Location:  Florida: Pinellas County

    Posts:    1,481

    My VIN:    5003

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    ...He is asking why the clutch pedal won't go down...
    -----Dan B.

  5. #5
    Delorean Guru
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Northern NJ

    Posts:    6,612

    My VIN:    10757

    Club(s):   (DMA)

    Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    ...He is asking why the clutch pedal won't go down...
    The short answer, the master cylinder for the clutch is probably seized.
    David Teitelbaum

  6. #6
    Senior Member Josh's Avatar
    Join Date:  Mar 2013

    Location:  SK, Canada

    Posts:    1,753

    My VIN:    11408

    Club(s):   (TXDMC)

    Having sat that long, I am surprised the brakes are also not seized. Sounds like you need new clutch hydraulics.
    The stock clutch line is plastic, it is a highly recommended update to switch it out to a stainless line as well.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Sep 2014

    Location:  West Sayville, N.Y.

    Posts:    1,346

    My VIN:    005058 000927

    Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The short answer, the master cylinder for the clutch is probably seized.
    Much more likely the disc is seized to the pressire plate and flywheel. Sometimes it can be forced free by bump starting but you need a running engine to do that. Even then it will likely chatter afterward and need replacing. I'm flying into San Jose Monday and going on to Vacaville. Perhaps I could take a look and advise you better if there's time. You're in Brentwood correct?
    Rob Grady

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date:  Aug 2016

    Posts:    29

    Hey PJ. Iím a couple hours south of there near chattanooga. Sure appreciate that offer though. Thatís kinda what I was thinking too... seized plates.

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Much more likely the disc is seized to the pressire plate and flywheel. Sometimes it can be forced free by bump starting but you need a running engine to do that. Even then it will likely chatter afterward and need replacing. I'm flying into San Jose Monday and going on to Vacaville. Perhaps I could take a look and advise you better if there's time. You're in Brentwood correct?
    Rob Grady

  9. #9
    EFI'd dn010's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Location:  Florida: Pinellas County

    Posts:    1,481

    My VIN:    5003

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by hillbillysims View Post
    Hey PJ. I’m a couple hours south of there near chattanooga. Sure appreciate that offer though. That’s kinda what I was thinking too... seized plates.
    If you cannot press the clutch pedal down or if you don't even have hydraulic function, you will have no way of knowing that the clutch/plate is seized unless you put it in neutral and try to roll it and find it wants to turn the engine. This isn't a clutch system that uses a cable or manual linkage. It is a hydraulic system and without hydraulics/fluid/operating master and slave cylinders- you cannot do much of anything.

    EDIT: Disregard the neutral comment.
    Last edited by dn010; 01-22-2018 at 10:36 AM.
    -----Dan B.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date:  Aug 2016

    Posts:    29

    Im able to put it in neutral... and it rolls free without attempting to turn motor


    Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    If you cannot press the clutch pedal down or if you don't even have hydraulic function, you will have no way of knowing that the clutch/plate is seized unless you put it in neutral and try to roll it and find it wants to turn the engine. This isn't a clutch system that uses a cable or manual linkage. It is a hydraulic system and without hydraulics/fluid/operating master and slave cylinders- you cannot do much of anything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •