FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Where do apartment dwellers store their D?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Insurance companies, especially classic ones, are very particular about where you park (store) the car. Not only do they often require secure, indoor parking, your premium is, in large part, calculated based on the location. Misrepresenting could be a way for the company to deny a claim. How can you tell them you store the car in a garage when you put a claim in for a tree branch falling on the car? Not only can they deny the claim you could be at risk for insurance fraud. This is like using the car to commute or putting on more mileage than allowed. You MUST get multiple quotes and select an insurance company that best suits your needs and follow the rules.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10201

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Also do note: if parking outside, look for nearby trees and their condition. I say that having moved my car after too many branches fell on my hood, and now having a 7-foot-long branch dangling loosely to a tree as of last night. Any poor chap who parked near it is going to have damage to their car.
    We were expecting a pretty bad wind storm one night and I was worried about other car in case they got blown around. I was going to put it in the cul de sac away from other cars next to the wooded area then thought "what if a tree falls on it?" so i just parked as I normally do next to other cars. Woke up the next morning to see a tree had landed on top of where I had planned to park. Felt good knowing I made the right call.

I daily drive my car and do not have classic car insurance on it. Having it garaged is not a requirement for me.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Insurance companies, especially classic ones, are very particular about where you park (store) the car. Not only do they often require secure, indoor parking, your premium is, in large part, calculated based on the location. Misrepresenting could be a way for the company to deny a claim. How can you tell them you store the car in a garage when you put a claim in for a tree branch falling on the car? Not only can they deny the claim you could be at risk for insurance fraud. This is like using the car to commute or putting on more mileage than allowed. You MUST get multiple quotes and select an insurance company that best suits your needs and follow the rules.
    I worked in the IT department of a vehicle insurance company for 5.5 years, most of that next to claims. We insured your auto if you had a motor home insured with us first.

Yup.

Claims people can be sharks. I have seen / heard them deny claims for accidents under very similar pretenses. The reactions of the Insureds are expectedly angry, but I swear it's like everyone forgets an insurance policy is a contract. If you've already broken your end of the contract, the insurance company is absolved of their end too. The number of people that don't understand this is astounding.

Also, depends on the insurance company, but sometimes not having a "custom equipment" coverage is grounds to deny a claim if you mod your car, other times they just won't pay for your mods, that varies by company -- ask your agent. Note that the value in my experience doesn't matter as long as you specify that you do have some on there. It just helps cover your bases.

(By the way, not arguing with anyone here -- this is a warning I'll say a million times and David hit the nail on the head here).

I will note that while Hagerty allowed for "occasional" pleasure use when I was with them, they did not at all attempt to specify what that meant, which actually opens them up for a lawsuit if they ever cite that as a reason for denying a claim as the term is entirely subjective (it "occasionally" is sunny and warm in Akron, for example). American Modern makes me tell them the expected annual miles, which is way harder to battle in court.

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post

Also do note: if parking outside, look for nearby trees and their condition. I say that having moved my car after too many branches fell on my hood, and now having a 7-foot-long branch dangling loosely to a tree as of last night. Any poor chap who parked near it is going to have damage to their car.
    It’s obnoxious the way a maple leaf will leave a stain. Real prick to get off

My VIN:    6585

I'll chime in on this as well as someone who was an apartment dweller for many years with the DeLorean then as my only car.

The first thing to consider is the insurance. Regular daily driver insurance doesn't care if you have a garage or not. It's the classic car ones that begin to get picky about that, so that's one consideration. Another is given the fact that *technically* the apartment complex has a key to your garage, I could totally see that as a reason to deny a claim, but I won't even go down that rabbit hole...

If you need a place to wrench on the car, definitely look for someplace with a garage where you can work on the car. Condos can come with a garage, sure. But they may have an HOA that frowns upon auto repair, so the owner you lease from may not let you. On the flip side I have run across places with garages that not only supply power, but will totally let you do whatever you want inside of the garage. You can't do a brake job in a parking spot, but they will let you do engine swaps and whatever in the private space. Complexes like this DO exist.

As for vandalism or theft, don't sweat it. As long as you're not an idiot that leaves valuables in the seats that just beg for a break-in, you'll never have a problem. I'd lived for years in places that had constant notices about break-ins and the regular bi-monthly stolen car. No one ever touched the DeLorean. First off, my DeLorean came factory-equipped with the greatest anti-theft device in modern history: a manual transmission. Second, it's a highly conspicuous car that has absolutely zero incentive for thieves to steal. A straight cop magnet with no blackmarket for stolen parts. No one wants it save for maybe joy riders, which almost none of them can drive a stick. I'd honestly be more terrified to owning a Honda or late model Toyota than I do a DeLorean. Stray cats have given me more of a problem that humans.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    First off, my DeLorean came factory-equipped with the greatest anti-theft device in modern history: a manual transmission.
    Am I the only one who uses the inertia switch as a anti theft device?

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Am I the only one who uses the inertia switch as a anti theft device?
    No you are not.... This is a funny one too. I have an owner who originally lived five miles from our Ohio shop and then accidentally moved to phoenix only five miles from our shop. Twice in Ohio his inertia switch outright failed. It became a thing of meeting up with him locally with starting issues.This happened again in PHX when he called and was surprised to find out I was out there. But this time I caught on. He had glued a larger stopper on the top of it. Turns out this was his anti theft since he was convinced the door lock module would get him killed if used. The contacts internally are not made for extended on off use. After so many cycles issues develop.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Answer: in the garage.

Depending on where you live, you can rent an apartment with a garage - detached or attached. I've been an apartment-dweller for many years and have not had a problem finding an apartment with a garage.

An attached garage is better than a detached garage, of course, but I've been able to make both work. In a townhouse sometimes the first level is simply the garage - as a bonus, in this situation sometimes you get extra storage underneath the stairs.

I suggest you get a garage with at least one power outlet available. If you don't have any place to plug in your air compressor or other power tools, your work will be a lot more difficult!

Good luck.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Another option would be, as far as power outlets and tools are concerned, is to see if there is an owner nearby willing to let you use an outlet and compressor for some work. I know I've always been open to helping people out working on their cars, I'm sure others are out there.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If there is a light bulb you can get an adapter and get "some" (not much) power out of that. A trouble light and small hand tools, not a large air compressor!
    David Teitelbaum

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast