FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I need to replace my headliners again...what has changed in 10 years?

I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar

My VIN:    5087

I need to replace my headliners again...what has changed in 10 years?

So about 10 tears ago when I got my DeLorean the headliner fabric was shot and drooping. I removed the liner and swapped it out but what I used is now stained and caves when touched. Any good recommendations for new material? I expect I'll need to strip and reapply to the hard inserts.

My VIN:    7178

Club(s):   (DMA)

Mine was replaced by the PO and he must have never had the car out in the rain. First time I got caught in the rain I had water dripping out of the dome light. And not shortly thereafter the headliner let go of the panel. Headliner + water = bad. Hope you don't have a roof box leak too. I need to find my leak and fix it.
    "If you're going to spend your inheritance on a car, why not do it with some style!"

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by Parzval View Post
    Mine was replaced by the PO and he must have never had the car out in the rain. First time I got caught in the rain I had water dripping out of the dome light. And not shortly thereafter the headliner let go of the panel. Headliner + water = bad. Hope you don't have a roof box leak too. I need to find my leak and fix it.
    It's quite possible that the fabric of the headliner wasn't trimmed back properly when it was installed. That will act like a wick and soak up water real good.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    7178

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    It's quite possible that the fabric of the headliner wasn't trimmed back properly when it was installed. That will act like a wick and soak up water real good.
    It's entirely possible. However it didn't get wet down the liner from the edges, it just came out of the dome light. I haven't pulled my T panel yet, but when I do I'll look for that as well. I'm anticipating loose bolts, or an improperly sealed closure...
    "If you're going to spend your inheritance on a car, why not do it with some style!"

My VIN:    03572

When I did a few headliners in other cars, there were two different 3M spray adhesives. One was 10 times better than the other. I think the good one was called "SUPER".
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    4665

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    When I did a few headliners in other cars, there were two different 3M spray adhesives. One was 10 times better than the other. I think the good one was called "SUPER".
    I used 3M High Strength 90 contact adhesive last spring for headliners. Looks perfect. Home Depot has it.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I prefer to use contact adhesive from a usual paint type (not a spray can) can and brush it on with a paint brush. It beats the mess of spray cans and you can get a nice uniform coating on the boards. Just another option.
    -----Dan B.

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

panels

I used contact cement but I stuck on too
    soon and it bled through. Had to spray it
    with grey fabric dye....

Bill R. used vinyl flooring adhesive, which was interesting to me because, 1) his headliners have been holding well for over 10 years now, and 2) you can reposition it easily while it's still setting up.

I think it was something like this that he used:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-35...2075/100194966

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

And you can do 356 headliners with that 4 gallons. That's a lot of adhesive!
    -----Dan B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast