FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VIN 500 - Imgur Megadump

VIN 500 - Imgur Megadump

Visited VIN 500 at Crawford Auto Aviation Museum this past Saturday, as I've been saying in a few other threads, and took a bunch of pics and did an entire write-up also. Posted it all on Imgur so the images don't die, and also so they're high-res too!

DeLorean VIN 500 at Crawford Auto Aviation Museum

Things I learned during the write-up:

- Only 12.85 original miles, just over a dozen.
    - No glovebox handle (anything inside?)
    - Still some work to do, but 99% of the way there from what I saw. Cosmetically, anyhow.

Also, GIANT shout-out to Tony Swann for the hours and hours and hours of teaching me everything I know about the early VIN's, I would certainly not have had nearly the trained eye I had visiting VIN 500 if it weren't for him. He really knows his stuff, and I'm just happy to be able to utilize the opportunity to document VIN 500 like she's never really been documented by the public before. Hopefully not in a creepy paparazzi way though.

The placard listed it as "gift of Jeffrey Abrams", anyone know if there's a factory connection there? Never heard of that name until now.

My VIN:    2706

Cool man I enjoyed the write up. Interesting to see the car.

Thanks for taking the time for the write up and pictures. I enjoyed it and is done very well.

The door pull straps were not on the first cars. Not sure what vin they started being included but I do remember
    that it was a problem early on for many to reach the handles to close the doors so that was what DMC came up with for a fix was the pull straps.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Nice work!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JETS 81 DMC View Post
    The door pull straps were not on the first cars. Not sure what vin they started being included but I do remember
    that it was a problem early on for many to reach the handles to close the doors so that was what DMC came up with for a fix was the pull straps.
    That jogs my memory of a conversation Michael had with Nick Sutton around the time of Nick's book release, basically Nick confirmed the story and reasoning, as well as calling it a "rushed" approach. I was remembering a conversation I had with DPI Josh when I wrote that, but you are correct, the first few did not have them.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Glad it's a good read so far. I wasn't sure that I got all the areas I needed to, but one area I probably should get if I see it again is a front 3/4 shot of the interior, focusing on seats, rear shelf, etc.

I do remember the cargo net was quite tight and flat, compared to my droopy ass net. This one probably just saw a refurb same time as door struts. Seats were in immaculate shape, but I don't see a reason to expect otherwise -- even if the leather isn't rated for outdoors, it's rarely there anyhow, and basically nobody sits in it. I remember being all "wow!" and then immediately drawn in by the doors and taking pics there, attention drawn so many ways lol. Don't think there were any unexpected surprises, good nor bad, in the spots I wasn't able to document but was able to see, to put it that way.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Great pics Shep. Nice to see her looking so well.

Interesting note about Jeffrey Adams. He was a VP at Consolidated. I wonder did he purchase it and then donate it, or was his name just on the donation papers from CI?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

It seems odd to me that there would be this much corrosion to the muffler if the car only has ever been driven 13 miles. If the whole muffler were corroded it would be one thing, but this looks like the standard muffler corrosion for a car that's been driven on a semi-regular basis.
    https://i.imgur.com/iJNjWDu.jpg

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    It seems odd to me that there would be this much corrosion to the muffler if the car only has ever been driven 13 miles. If the whole muffler were corroded it would be one thing, but this looks like the standard muffler corrosion for a car that's been driven on a semi-regular basis.
    Interesting observation... first thing that came to mind for me was that perhaps the car was run and brought up to temperature while in storage to keep the fluids moving, but never actually driven. That would explain the heat discoloration and corrosion on the muffler.

Either that, or it has a broken/disconnected angle drive and the car has more than 13 actual miles.

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Thanks fir the write up and taking time to share all the pictures with us

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Interesting note about Jeffrey Adams. He was a VP at Consolidated. I wonder did he purchase it and then donate it, or was his name just on the donation papers from CI?
    Knowing now what his role is, I have a theory, and I suspect it was even more "meh" than that: a trade for something else in Crawford's inventory. "I'll give you VIN 500 if you give me ___", which Crawford most definitely would have seized on knowing it would complete their collection of "every stainless car in history" in a way that really wasn't complete even before JZD left Pontiac, with the rich history behind DeLoreans and lack thereof on the other three stainless cars. Consolidated is in a business, after all, and if nobody's really interested in buying an entire car, why not trade it for a car someone will buy?

By the way, good lord there's so many flaws in the stainless panels of the other three cars I feel bad for them sitting next to the flawless panels on VIN 500. Dents, dings, bents, creases, I just hope they are restored in some way, the other three are so trashy now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    There's an annual "get every car running and driving" event at Crawford, I don't recall what time of year it is, but I would suspect that's where the corrosion came from. It's gotten up to operating temp on a (hopefully) yearly basis, I don't know if that fully explains the discoloration, but it has been in running condition for more than just this year to put it that way.

By the way, on the angle drive, I strongly doubt that's a problem. Keep in mind the speedometer has probably never moved since it bottoms out at 10 MPH, and binding is generally the biggest issue. As for preserving the low mileage, easy enough to do when the car can have its tires on dollies and be literally pushed around the museum.

One thing I should note that I saw there globally was every car there was resting on jackstands, unless it was on short-term loan from somebody (saw a standard Chevelle and a Camaro from such a guy). This may seem curious, but think about it: not only are you securing the car with heavy-duty equipment and easing the strain on the suspension on cars in some cases 125 years old, but you're also preventing flat spots on the tires from forming by removing all weight off of it. By that point, it's not hard to lower the wheels onto dollys and simply push it around with a group of people and a spotter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast