FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Refinishing rear bumper

My VIN:    6214

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Refinishing rear bumper

Just got done sanding down my rear bumper after taking off a haze that developed as a result of some stuff I put on it last year to try an restore the black finish. The bumper was in pretty good shape, no deep scratches or anything, so it only took a few passes with some 200 grit sand paper to get rid of the haze. I'd like to restore it to the deep black finish it would've had when new and have read where you can get good results with sanding and polishing. My question is, what kind of polish/rubbing compound would be good to use? I've seen some folks mention 3M, but is there a certain one that would work best? The last thing I want to do is use something that's going to cause some kind of damage to the urethane.

I would ask Toby. By the lack of responses here I would assume no one has done the work themselves on here or it did not turn out well.
    good luck ! I don't think I noticed what you are taking about on your car when I saw it.
    Maybe posting some pictures could get someone with the knowledge to chime in.
    Alex Brooks

My VIN:    10309

I hope you meant to type 2000 grit wet sandpaper and not 200 grit dry sandpaper. If you did use 200 grit you are going to have to wet sand with 1000 and then 2000. Then using a orbital polisher just use 3m rubbing compound followed by meguars polish and then the wax of your choice. I am assuming you are talking about the black
    strip and not the whole bumper.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
    Just got done sanding down my rear bumper after taking off a haze.....I'd like to restore it to the deep black finish it would've had when new and have read where you can get good results with sanding and polishing. My question is, what kind of polish/rubbing compound would be good to use?
    My black areas of my fascias were both in above-average shape - never stored outdoors - but I wanted them looking as good as new like you do.

Took it to a pro body shop that said they had treated (unfinished) black urethane bumpers pads or fascias on other cars (Porsches?). I first had them do a small sample area. It looked better so I took the chance and told them to do it all. No swirl marks. The whole job took 10-15min for both ends while I waited. Looks like new 7 years later.

As near as I could tell they used the same liquid polish and orbital pad they used on their clearcoat jobs, did not get any specifics about it.

Your results may vary especially if the recessed areas like the rear logo or the front parking lights need help.

Did not try sanding so no comments on that approach.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    6214

I ended up asking Toby and he had a few products that he recommended, one of which was 303 Aerospace. I put some of that on the bumper and was pleased with the results, although I don't know how well it holds up against rain.

Yes I meant wet-sanding with 2000 grit not 200. I shudder to think of what that would've done to my bumper.

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Quote Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
    I ended up asking Toby and he had a few products that he recommended, one of which was 303 Aerospace. I put some of that on the bumper and was pleased with the results, although I don't know how well it holds up against rain.

Yes I meant wet-sanding with 2000 grit not 200. I shudder to think of what that would've done to my bumper.
    Hey, Shawn.

The aerospace works well but it doesn't last long. It's a detailing product and not a long term fix. That said I use it on the mirrors and used to use it on the side vents. I broke down and painted the vents. Now they look good all the time. I'm going to do the mirrors before summer rolls around.

Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!