FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Auto, 81, Grey, W/ Windshield Antenna Wanted

Auto, 81, Grey, W/ Windshield Antenna Wanted

Hey everyone! Had plans to purchase VIN 05870 from DMC Midwest come March, but found out today from Mike that it sold. So I'm back to square one.
    I'm looking for an late 81' with a windshield antenna and grey interior. I'd prefer an automatic and <50,000 miles if possible. The reason being the traffic in my area would make it a nightmare to shift in and out of gears constantly and I've only ever driven a manual once and I couldn't live with myself if I tore up a transmission. And as for miles, well.. who doesn't want low miles, am I right?
    Last edited by Ron; 01-31-2018 at 12:16 AM. Reason: OP Request-Ad In For Sale
    Mason Fowlkes
    [email protected]
    St. Peters, Missouri

My VIN:    6472

FYI It's the early 81s that had the windshield antennas. Good luck either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregadeth View Post
    FYI It's the early 81s that had the windshield antennas. Good luck either way.
    D'oh! Sorry about that. I had a brain fart there for a second.
    Mason Fowlkes
    [email protected]
    St. Peters, Missouri

My VIN:    6125

Are you actually looking for a car with a windshield antenna, or just a car that does not have the front RH fender mounted antenna? There were three main locations for the antenna during production. In chronological order:

1. Cars up to VIN 2710 had the windshield antenna
    2. Due to radio reception/quality issues the antenna moved moved to the RH front fender for better reception.
    3. For aesthetic reasons, the antenna was moved to the LH rear quarter panel hidden next to the evap/emissions canister inside the pontoon. This seems to be the most popular version today since it is power retracting and does not spoil the look of the car when not in use. People add the rear power antenna to cars that originally had the windshield antenna for better reception and on cars that originally had the fender mounted antennas to improve the look of the car.

Most of the early cars in the VIN range with windshield antennas had black interiors. Grey interior was not available as an option until later in the VIN range (with exception of some 600 series VIN test cars). From the VIN list linked here it looks like the first production grey interior car with auto transmission was VIN 2436. If you scroll through the between 2436 and 2710 (where the windshield antenna production ended) nearly all of them are black interior cars. The listing is not 100% complete, but looks like there could be less than a dozen cars built with the windshield antenna, grey interior, and auto transmission.

If you're seeking this exact combination you are probably better off buying a later production car where grey interior/automatic cars were common and with the antenna in the rear quarter panel location. At that point you could buy one of the new reproduction antenna windshields http://store.delorean.com/p-9751-win...-wantenna.aspx and have it installed to replace the standard windshield.

If you're interested in more of the rolling production changes there is some good info here:
    http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.p...uction-Changes
    Last edited by Mark D; 01-23-2018 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Are you actually looking for a car with a windshield antenna, or just a car that does not have the front RH fender mounted antenna? There were three main locations for the antenna during production. In chronological order:

1. Cars up to VIN 2710 had the windshield antenna
    2. Due to radio reception/quality issues the antenna moved moved to the RH front fender for better reception.
    3. For aesthetic reasons, the antenna was moved to the LH rear quarter panel hidden next to the evap/emissions canister inside the pontoon. This seems to be the most popular version today since it is power retracting and does not spoil the look of the car when not in use. People add the rear power antenna to cars that originally had the windshield antenna for better reception and on cars that originally had the fender mounted antennas to improve the look of the car.

Most of the early cars in the VIN range with windshield antennas had black interiors. Grey interior was not available as an option until later in the VIN range (with exception of some 600 series VIN test cars). From the VIN list linked here it looks like the first production grey interior car with auto transmission was VIN 2436. If you scroll through the between 2436 and 2710 (where the windshield antenna production ended) nearly all of them are black interior cars. The listing is not 100% complete, but looks like there could be less than a dozen cars built with the windshield antenna, grey interior, and auto transmission.

If you're seeking this exact combination you are probably better off buying a later production car where grey interior/automatic cars were common and with the antenna in the rear quarter panel location. At that point you could buy one of the new reproduction antenna windshields http://store.delorean.com/p-9751-win...-wantenna.aspx and have it installed to replace the standard windshield.

If you're interested in more of the rolling production changes there is some good info here:
    http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.p...uction-Changes
    Oh yes! If that's the case I have no problem purchasing a later car with an automatic/grey interior and converting it to a windshield antenna. I know it seems counter intuitive, but I hear the new windshield DMC sells increases reception as well there being much stronger FM signals these days, plus I just personally prefer that look. I know front-side passenger antenna cars have a hold in the stainless and would like to avoid that. If you or anyone can point me in the right direction to a car with a grey interior, automatic, and a rear antenna, I'd be more than happy to take a look! Thanks again, Mark.
    Mason Fowlkes
    [email protected]
    St. Peters, Missouri

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by iOutatime View Post
    Oh yes! If that's the case I have no problem purchasing a later car with an automatic/grey interior and converting it to a windshield antenna. I know it seems counter intuitive, but I hear the new windshield DMC sells increases reception as well there being much stronger FM signals these days, plus I just personally prefer that look. I know front-side passenger antenna cars have a hold in the stainless and would like to avoid that. If you or anyone can point me in the right direction to a car with a grey interior, automatic, and a rear antenna, I'd be more than happy to take a look! Thanks again, Mark.
    Do you honestly listen to the radio a lot? I can understand not wanting the front fender antenna, but the rear power one is out of the way when you don't need it and better for reception than the windshield integrated one.

There are two gray interior automatics on eBay right now. One at $30k and one at $35k. Both need attention. The $30k has some carbureted mess going on. The $35k one has some interior portions in a mess, but otherwise ok. Mechanical is better it seems.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Do you honestly listen to the radio a lot? I can understand not wanting the front fender antenna, but the rear power one is out of the way when you don't need it and better for reception than the windshield integrated one.

There are two gray interior automatics on eBay right now. One at $30k and one at $35k. Both need attention. The $30k has some carbureted mess going on. The $35k one has some interior portions in a mess, but otherwise ok. Mechanical is better it seems.
    I wouldn't say I listen to the radio a lot, but I do tend to power it on and play my own music. I think I see the listings. The one from Evolve Motors looks like trouble waiting to happen unless they knew what they where doing (which I doubt). The one from GatewayClassics seems to be much better, but I'd still have DMC take a look at it if I were to get it. Looks like the front is starting to show signs of bowing. What did you mean by the interior being in a mess? I don't see any photos of the inside.
    Mason Fowlkes
    [email protected]
    St. Peters, Missouri

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by iOutatime View Post
    I wouldn't say I listen to the radio a lot, but I do tend to power it on and play my own music. I think I see the listings. The one from Evolve Motors looks like trouble waiting to happen unless they knew what they where doing (which I doubt). The one from GatewayClassics seems to be much better, but I'd still have DMC take a look at it if I were to get it. Looks like the front is starting to show signs of bowing. What did you mean by the interior being in a mess? I don't see any photos of the inside.
    If you scroll down a little bit on the eBay ad for that car listed in Houston (without the carb), you'll see a link for "full item description." It pulls up a longer description of the car and a pile more photos.

Tell you what? How about as a little game to test your knowledge or learn more about the cars, you look at those pictures and you tell me what you see? What appears to be missing, or not quite right, or needing attention? Start with the interior pics and include the engine bay or other areas if you feel like it. I see a few things, but you'll need to ultimately be able to spot things on your own. Lets see how you do.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Tell you what? How about as a little game to test your knowledge or learn more about the cars, you look at those pictures and you tell me what you see? What appears to be missing, or not quite right, or needing attention? Start with the interior pics and include the engine bay or other areas if you feel like it. I see a few things, but you'll need to ultimately be able to spot things on your own. Lets see how you do.
    Maybe a "what all's lacking Delorean owners" game in the General Section would be better??
    (Do you see? ;-)
    Last edited by Ron; 01-24-2018 at 08:33 PM. Reason: typo

If you scroll down a little bit on the eBay ad for that car listed in Houston (without the carb), you'll see a link for "full item description." It pulls up a longer description of the car and a pile more photos.

My apologies, I didn't see any other photos under the full description as on my phone it just loaded a blank page. I see what your saying now that I can view it on my computer. Here's what I can see to my untrained eye:

*For it being an 81' car, the driver side is an 83' styled door as told by the door handles.
    *The headliner on each door seems to be missing.
    *The seats seem to have been re-dyed I believe.
    *There what looks to be an aftermarket/replacement windshield wiper stalk.
    *After removing the dash cover, that binnacle is going to be a challenge. Either getting a donor, recovering it, or a fiberglass reproduction.
    *Besides the cracked dash, it look like they tried to tape some parts of it?
    *It has what looks to be an aftermarket set of window control and rear defrost switches.
    *The T panel interior carpeting look like it might be sagging.
    *Different sets of tiers with the caps looking a little weathered.
    *Engine bay looks a little dirty with some weathering to the stickers, but all 3 are present.
    *Has been upgraded to the stainless steel reservoir, but no signs of a cover over the water pump.
    *Looks to be stock R12 AC and is missing the jump start lead cover box.
    *The under body looks to be a little rusty and the car seems to be sitting at stock height.
    *And the front fascia looks like it might be starting to get some "eye brows". You can either try the heat gun trick or swap the entire fascia for a fiberglass one.

Is there anything I might have missed?..
    Mason Fowlkes
    [email protected]
    St. Peters, Missouri

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast