FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Auto, 81, Grey, W/ Windshield Antenna Wanted

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Interesting to me, that they show the car with later style door pull straps, and then later below those photos show pictures of the car with the earlier style...
    There also appears to be a ripple in the passenger side crumple tube which is not a good thing at all.
    Last edited by dn010; 01-24-2018 at 12:04 PM.
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Interesting to me, that they show the car with later style door pull straps, and then later below those photos show pictures of the car with the earlier style...
    There also appears to be a ripple in the passenger side crumple tube which is not a good thing at all.
    I think it's safe to say they're wanting $35k for a $20k car (at best). The prices vary wildly with DeLoreans from what I've seen, but there's a few (mostly on eBay) who charge Ferrari prices for a car that's been sitting in a barn and has never had it's fluids drained since 1992. In those cases, your looking at least a minimum $10k to put into the car. The common saying is "Buy a car for 20, put 10 in. Buy a car for 10, put 30 in". Hence why I think my price range of $30k-$40k is a good range for someone looking to get started with a mechanically sound car and learning as things fall off.

Hopefully if I can find a car by August, I can take it to DCS and this year have something in common with the owners and show me demonstrations of what I should work on. I've been doing my research, attending club meets, and meeting one-on-one with owners for the better part of 3 years now, so this year I want to pull the trigger and start living the dream (or nightmare to some lol).
    Mason Fowlkes
    [email protected]
    St. Peters, Missouri

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Maybe a "what all's lacking Deloran owners" game in the General Section would be better??
    (Do you see? ;-)
    Sure. Go ahead and move these last few posts over to a new thread if you like.

You want to spell DeLorean correctly in the title, or was that part of your game??

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Nice job!

*For it being an 81' car, the driver side is an 83' styled door as told by the door handles.

Yea, pull strap on the passenger door is the early style and the driver's door has the pull strap built in. This car is VIN 6010 and those pull straps changed at VIN 5992 to 5993. Not likely that it came from the factory with one of each, but you never know. That'd be a first I'd say!

*The headliner on each door seems to be missing.

I see them there, but the fabric is due for a change. If they were not there at all, you would see right to the stainless (and cave paintings underneath typically).

*The seats seem to have been re-dyed I believe.

Yea, that's some sort of abysmal two-tone ugliness. Or three tone maybe since they look a bit yellow on the shoulders.

*There what looks to be an aftermarket/replacement windshield wiper stalk.

Good call. And it's bent forward too. Likely out of the reach of your finger with your hand still on the wheel. More often see the left side stalk bent from your knee, but this one got bonked on the right it would appear. Those wiper/stalk assemblies were $150 via DMCH last time I checked.

*After removing the dash cover, that binnacle is going to be a challenge. Either getting a donor, recovering it, or a fiberglass reproduction.
    *Besides the cracked dash, it look like they tried to tape some parts of it?

Cracked dash and cracked binnacle. The dash isn't so bad, but the binnacle is hard to miss.

*It has what looks to be an aftermarket set of window control and rear defrost switches.

Right. Hard to tell what is going on there. One too many dummy switches. Not sure what is what or whether the windows work or not. That'd be a follow-up thing either in person or asking the seller.

*The T panel interior carpeting look like it might be sagging.

Likely same age and fabric as the ones on the doors.

*Different sets of tiers with the caps looking a little weathered.

You mean the rubber or the steel? Looks like it could be both. Hard to see close enough, but they might have a mix of the two different rim spoke styles.

http://support.delorean.com/kb/a82/d...fferences.aspx

*Engine bay looks a little dirty with some weathering to the stickers, but all 3 are present.
    *Has been upgraded to the stainless steel reservoir, but no signs of a cover over the water pump.
    *Looks to be stock R12 AC and is missing the jump start lead cover box.

I think they have the two vacuum lines on the cold start valve reversed. Not sure what that would do to the engine operation?
    Yea, bulkhead connector cover is missing. Not the end of the world, but not the cheapest part in the world either to go buy a replacement for.
    That cover over the water pump is part of the throttle spool recall. The deice shield isn't there and no telling if the other aspects are done either. The front end suspension recall may or may not be done either.
    Engine bay light switch looks like it isn't working.

*The under body looks to be a little rusty and the car seems to be sitting at stock height.
    *And the front fascia looks like it might be starting to get some "eye brows". You can either try the heat gun trick or swap the entire fascia for a fiberglass one.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Sure. Go ahead and move these last few posts over to a new thread if you like.

You want to spell DeLorean correctly in the title, or was that part of your game??
    I was partially playing a game. That was a typo. I meant "Delorean".

I almost always spell it "DeLorean" and there is a reason I didn't....Now you have two clues.
    (Do you see it now? ;-)

Aw, come on -- He played your game...
    (And played well too! ;-)

<-- No idea what is being asked of me here??? Whatever your clues were, Ron, they went miles over my head. Sorry.

lol sorry, I know it's way out there and was going to ask Mason if he wanted me to clean up his thread. But then he did so well playing before I had a chance to ask.....

If you want to play- It's a puzzle/joke (lame as it may be ;-). Recall your game had him searching, for flaws. Now it's your turn to do the same, except I can't tell you what to search for w/o giving it away. But I am certain you will know when you find it. All you need is right there in my first post.
    (If he doesn't mind meanwhile...)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Maybe a "what all's lacking Delorean owners" game in the General Section would be better??
    (Do you see? ;-)
    Oh god it's been forever since I saw one of those!!! I know how I'm spending my weekend: catching up on nostalgia!

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Oh god it's been forever since I saw one of those!!! I know how I'm spending my weekend: catching up on nostalgia!
    Congratulations!

And my hat is off to you for not giving it away.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast