FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Who has installed a B28E in their dmc?

Who has installed a B28E in their dmc?

Hi

I’m considering doing this swap. How hard is it to make a B28E work? The engine is out of a euro spec Volvo 760.

From what I can see it has a fuel pump on the cam cover, as opposed to the delorean’s electrical one.

Would you recommend keeping the Volvo fuel and ignition system?

Magne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My VIN:    4519

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Externally the B28E Volvo swap should be the same as the B28F Volvo swap that I performed on 4194 a little over a year ago. Changing the necessary parts to convert a Volvo PRV to a Renault / DeLorean PRV took a couple hours and wasn't too difficult. Just make sure to torque the lower crankcase 100 percent by the book and you should be fine. Aside from the lower crankcase, you'll need to swap the crank pulley, passenger side valve cover, the alternator mount and various oil and temp sending units. I can't recall whether the exhaust manifolds are the same. Either way, it would be a good idea to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets and hardware while the engine is out.

The later Volvo PRV's, 84 on IIRC, use a different water pump and water pump Y-pipe. The later style water pump / y-pipe combo might clear the k-jet manifold, but it will not clear the Peugeot carb manifold, so I swapped the water pump and pipe assembly from my old PRV.

Make sure that the engine is indeed a B28E as opposed to the later B280E. Swapping to the later, even fire, EFI engine would entail much more work. Also, check the build tag to confirm that the engine is indeed a euro spec engine. The Volvo tag red in color and is a little smaller than one square inch. It is located on the side of the engine near the oil filter / oil pressure sender.

With regard to the B28E fuel system, I believe the euro spec cars did not have a lambda system and they might have a different calibration to compensate for the higher compression ratio, but I don't know for sure.

On an aside, how did you find a euro spec engined Volvo on this side of the pond?

Good luck with the swap!

Andrew
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Externally the B28E Volvo swap should be the same as the B28F Volvo swap that I performed on 4194 a little over a year ago. Changing the necessary parts to convert a Volvo PRV to a Renault / DeLorean PRV took a couple hours and wasn't too difficult. Just make sure to torque the lower crankcase 100 percent by the book and you should be fine. Aside from the lower crankcase, you'll need to swap the crank pulley, passenger side valve cover, the alternator mount and various oil and temp sending units. I can't recall whether the exhaust manifolds are the same. Either way, it would be a good idea to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets and hardware while the engine is out.

The later Volvo PRV's, 84 on IIRC, use a different water pump and water pump Y-pipe. The later style water pump / y-pipe combo might clear the k-jet manifold, but it will not clear the Peugeot carb manifold, so I swapped the water pump and pipe assembly from my old PRV.

Make sure that the engine is indeed a B28E as opposed to the later B280E. Swapping to the later, even fire, EFI engine would entail much more work. Also, check the build tag to confirm that the engine is indeed a euro spec engine. The Volvo tag red in color and is a little smaller than one square inch. It is located on the side of the engine near the oil filter / oil pressure sender.

With regard to the B28E fuel system, I believe the euro spec cars did not have a lambda system and they might have a different calibration to compensate for the higher compression ratio, but I don't know for sure.

On an aside, how did you find a euro spec engined Volvo on this side of the pond?

Good luck with the swap!

Andrew

Thanks for the extensive answer!

I’m pretty sure it’s a B28E, out of an euro spec 760

M

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Nice! And it's already out of the car, which makes it that much better. Plus, as a bonus, you got a highly sought after bolt on water pump pulley :-)

I forgot to mention that the valve covers and flywheel need to be swapped out as well.

The little red tag on the side of the block should say B28E.

Even if the fuel system is in an unknown condition, the parts still have core value. I recouped half of what I spent on the Volvo PRV by selling the core K-jet parts.
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177

I have 4 fuel distributors all together, partly because I have a B27 in my possession as well.

What’s the big deal about the bolt on pulley? I think I might have thrown one in the trash tonight. Should I go look for it?

My VIN:    6100,0707

B28E upgrade.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rRdHDRQPck

Click on the link, its not so hard to do. I went with EFI and a stand alone management system, again its mostly plug and play..
    Last edited by Lough Shore Man; 02-12-2018 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruffalo View Post
    I have 4 fuel distributors all together, partly because I have a B27 in my possession as well.

What’s the big deal about the bolt on pulley? I think I might have thrown one in the trash tonight. Should I go look for it?

The advantage of the bolt on pulley is that it allows you to use the less expensive Volvo water pump as opposed to the DeLorean water pump with the pressed on pulley. Plus it's a lot easier to install the bolt on pulley than pressing the pulley off the old pump and onto the new one.

Over the years various vendors have offered bolt on pulley options; however, there have been extended periods where the pulleys have been unavailable.
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    The advantage of the bolt on pulley is that it allows you to use the less expensive Volvo water pump
    To put "less expensive" in perspective, the GMB 190-2040 pump is about $75 new (non-reman).
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

OK, I have a spare bolt on pulley to share then

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast