FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Who has installed a B28E in their dmc?

Thanks everyone. I’m located in Norway, Europe. I came across the Volvo engine by chance. An amcar enthusiast bought a Volvo 760 and decided to fit americano iron in it. The prv has sat on a pallet in dry storage ever since . I haven’t taken delivery of it yet, more details when I get it on Tuesday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trivial question maybe, but what do the three ecu’s do?

- small black one, idle control unit. I guess it controls the idle speed unit on the drivers side cam cover. But what’s its input?
    - gray, connected to o2 sensor (lambda). O2 is input, what does it output to?
    - second gray one, connected to distributor, affects dwell? Input/output?

I’m investigating this to prepare for the B28E swap.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Gruffalo View Post
    Trivial question maybe, but what do the three ecu’s do?

- small black one, idle control unit. I guess it controls the idle speed unit on the drivers side cam cover. But what’s its input?
    - gray, connected to o2 sensor (lambda). O2 is input, what does it output to?
    - second gray one, connected to distributor, affects dwell? Input/output?

I’m investigating this to prepare for the B28E swap.

Idle ECU controls the idle motor to hold idle RPM at 775 RPM. It uses the ignition signal to read RPM and a temperature sensor to modify starting position of the idle motor.

Lambda ECU reads the O2 sensor voltage to control mixture to 14.7 AFR via controlling dwell of the frequency valve.

Ignition ECU inputs the signal from the ignition distributor and using that signal to drive the ignition coil. Ignition dwell is just a factor in how long the ECU drives current to the ignition coil. If dwell was to low your RPM would be limited. If dwell is to high the ignition coil heats up more than necessary.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Idle ECU controls the idle motor to hold idle RPM at 775 RPM. It uses the ignition signal to read RPM and a temperature sensor to modify starting position of the idle motor.

Lambda ECU reads the O2 sensor voltage to control mixture to 14.7 AFR via controlling dwell of the frequency valve.

Ignition ECU inputs the signal from the ignition distributor and using that signal to drive the ignition coil. Ignition dwell is just a factor in how long the ECU drives current to the ignition coil. If dwell was to low your RPM would be limited. If dwell is to high the ignition coil heats up more than necessary.
    Idle ECU: got it!

Lambda ECU: by frequency valve you mean the little device on the pass side valve cover? I guess this whole setup is missing on the non-catalytic converter B28E.

Ignition ECU: how exactly does it drive the coil? By cutting 12v to the coil on/off?

The Volvo B28E has a different ignition curve, is that implemented into the distributor itself? Will I still benefit from that if use the dmc ignition ECU? Or do I need to get the Volvo ignition ECU?

Thanks a lot for your thorough answer

M

Quote Originally Posted by Gruffalo View Post
    Idle ECU: got it!

Lambda ECU: by frequency valve you mean the little device on the pass side valve cover? I guess this whole setup is missing on the non-catalytic converter B28E.

Ignition ECU: how exactly does it drive the coil? By cutting 12v to the coil on/off?

The Volvo B28E has a different ignition curve, is that implemented into the distributor itself? Will I still benefit from that if use the dmc ignition ECU? Or do I need to get the Volvo ignition ECU?

Thanks a lot for your thorough answer
    Yes the frequency valve is on the pass side valve cover.

All ignition ECUs (and point engines) break or connect the ground side of the ignition coil. The positive side is always powered usually through a resistor. When the current stops (ground side is open) the coil provides a spark voltage.
    Dave M vin 03572

Thanks, my final question still is: will I need the ecu from the Volvo to take full advantage of a B28E upgrade?

My VIN:    10270

The distributor is all you'll need.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

FYI:

The stock DeLorean ignition ECU and the Ford ECU Bill R run pretty much hold full dwell always. I updated to a GM module which has a very wide dwell change. That and a 1.5 ohm coil let me run without any resistors powering the coil.
    Dave M vin 03572

I just took delivery of the B28E, and it appears to be stored indoors at least, albeit somewhat grimy.

But to my disappointment the fuel distributor is missing.

Can I use the garage one from the delorean, and make it work without the buzzer?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    +1 On what Luke said.

It would be interesting to confirm what distributor Volvo used on the B28E. If it's not too much trouble, could you post the Bosch part number from the distributor body?

?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast