FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Bosch iBooster Retrofit

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

That was a bit of a rollercoaster ride lol. So why will the newer master cylinders not fit on the GEN1 booster?

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    That was a bit of a rollercoaster ride lol. So why will the newer master cylinders not fit on the GEN1 booster?
    Roll coaster it was...Got all excited, then was let down considerably.

The base of the newer master is smaller in diameter, and the flanges are farther from center. The Gen 2 booster basically uses the same masters that bolt to some Bosch vacuum boosters.

The wonky setup is the Gen 1 iBooster... It uses a specific design of master cylinder I have never seen anywhere else.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    2706

I have to give props to Marek. His gen 1 model s ibooster mount is a top notch piece. Significantly stronger then factory.
    No fuss with having to drill holes. Proper angle. I booster slides right on. Mounts up to body like factory. Save yourself the hassle and just buy one of these.

PXL_20210623_235842504.jpgPXL_20210623_235844859.jpgPXL_20210623_235851012.jpgPXL_20210623_235847440.jpgPXL_20210624_000842883.jpg

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by powerline84 View Post
    I have to give props to Marek. His gen 1 model s ibooster mount is a top notch piece. Significantly stronger then factory.
    No fuss with having to drill holes. Proper angle. I booster slides right on. Mounts up to body like factory. Save yourself the hassle and just buy one of these.

PXL_20210623_235842504.jpgPXL_20210623_235844859.jpgPXL_20210623_235851012.jpgPXL_20210623_235847440.jpgPXL_20210624_000842883.jpg
    Looks nice.

Does he have a solution so the reservoir does not stick out into the trunk?

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Looks nice.

Does he have a solution so the reservoir does not stick out into the trunk?
    Tank from iBooster gen 2 will fit to iBooster gen1.
    If model 3/Y tank is currently the best known solution imo.
    I fitted gen2 tank from a Nissan, but only due to the level sensor that was missing from my Model S tank.

There is big chance that many thanks from Bosch masters will fit. Got another one to try on that is quite low.

Remember that Tesla Model S RHD has ports on a correct side. Few available on eBay in Europe. I bought mine from Lithuania together with harness connectors.
    --------

Marek
    Reinsch Engineering Limited (UK)
    restomod #vin4454
    Build HERE

Bleeding the iBooster

Hello I have fitted the IBooster from a 2017 Honda CRV to my Ultima Evolution . The booster is working but I have a soft pedal. I used a professional pressure brake bleeder and I have no more air coming out the wheel bleed screws. Normally on a car with a vacuum booster the pedal would be rock hard after pressure bleeding. Do I have to bleed the brakes manually to get the air out. By manually I mean depress the brake pedal and then open a bleed screw, lock it release the brake pedal and replete over and over.
    Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayhall View Post
    Hello I have fitted the IBooster from a 2017 Honda CRV to my Ultima Evolution . The booster is working but I have a soft pedal. I used a professional pressure brake bleeder and I have no more air coming out the wheel bleed screws. Normally on a car with a vacuum booster the pedal would be rock hard after pressure bleeding. Do I have to bleed the brakes manually to get the air out. By manually I mean depress the brake pedal and then open a bleed screw, lock it release the brake pedal and replete over and over.
    Ray.
    Are you using the original Delorean master cylinder on the iBooster? Did you bleed the master cylinder when you reinstalled it? Also, if you are using the Delorean master brake cylinder, the pin inside the iBooster I believe needs to be extended as well, was that done?

Engineer

in my particular case, I was dealing with all brand new and dry brake lines, also all rebuild calipers, so theoretically it should be harder to remove any air bubbles.

The first step was to "bench bleed" the master cylinder as per the photo - you basically run brake fluid back to the reservoir tank. It's quite important when dealing with the dry master cylinders.

You do it gently, but with full strokes, until you don't see any bubbles coming out in the tube (that's why it's good to have it transparent).

Once that was done I've connected my main lines, and vacuum bleed each caliper starting with those on the back.

After that, I've energized the iBooster and pumped the brakes many times including some time with the pedal pressed.

Vacuum bleed again after that for sanity.

The pedal is nice and firm. The test drive to be done in a few weeks as I finally have my custom muffler.

I run ibooster with its stock master cylinder.
    --------

Marek
    Reinsch Engineering Limited (UK)
    restomod #vin4454
    Build HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Reinsch View Post
    in my particular case, I was dealing with all brand new and dry brake lines, also all rebuild calipers, so theoretically it should be harder to remove any air bubbles.

The first step was to "bench bleed" the master cylinder as per the photo - you basically run brake fluid back to the reservoir tank. It's quite important when dealing with the dry master cylinders.

You do it gently, but with full strokes, until you don't see any bubbles coming out in the tube (that's why it's good to have it transparent).

Once that was done I've connected my main lines, and vacuum bleed each caliper starting with those on the back.

After that, I've energized the iBooster and pumped the brakes many times including some time with the pedal pressed.

Vacuum bleed again after that for sanity.

The pedal is nice and firm. The test drive to be done in a few weeks as I finally have my custom muffler.

I run ibooster with its stock master cylinder.
    I did not bleed the air out of the master cylinder first. I will try that thank you.
    Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    Are you using the original Delorean master cylinder on the iBooster? Did you bleed the master cylinder when you reinstalled it? Also, if you are using the Delorean master brake cylinder, the pin inside the iBooster I believe needs to be extended as well, was that done?
    I am using the IBooster master cylinder and I did not bleed it first. I will try that thank you.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast