FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Bosch iBooster Retrofit

My VIN:    Early

Bosch iBooster Retrofit

Seeing as the ibooster is capable of standalone operation, I'm deciding to retrofit my car for the hell of it.

I was able to buy one from a Tesla for about $80 on ebay, so I could not resist...

So I went ahead and drilled new holes into the brake booster mounting bracket and did a test fit.

Very tight, but it fits perfectly.

More to come, but first I need to find the connectors...
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Nice work! Keep us posted!
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

This is so cool, love seeing stuff retrofitted like this to modernize the car.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

That's a neat set up.

Curious how different that will feel.

After doing a bit of thinking, I came to the conclusion that some other EVs equipped with adaptive cruise must use an ibooster. Sure enough, after looking on TechAuthority, I found that the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica PHEV uses an ibooster. So now I have the pin outs and part numbers for the connectors.

For the ecu connector...

For the pedal sensor connector...

The pedal sensor connector and its pins are easily found on Mouser, as it is manufactured by TE Connectivity. The large ecu connector, however, is a Bosch part which is very difficult to find. However, after looking deeper, I was able to purchase the pins from Nexus Electronics and the housing from Aliexpress in China.

More to come once I get everything together.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

A Little Progress...

Just cut the bubble flares off my lines and reflared them to inverted double flares. I'm using an m10 1.00 on the line. And since the Tesla master uses m12 1.00, I ordered two adapters from ebay.

Test Video

The ibooster has been installed. The wiring is just tapped into 12v for testing, and I will eventually run everything correctly.

The hydraulics are still disconnected until this weekend. Will make another video once everything is fully functional.

Fully Operational

Well today I received the m12 to m10 adapters. I quickly installed and bled the system using Valvoline DOT 3 and 4.

Unfortunately, the 2017 Chevy Volt reservoir is just a tad too tall. So either I will modify the access cover, or I will remote mount a reservoir using an adapter from a Honda CR-V.

Here's a couple pics of it installed. The wiring is only temporary, as the connector housing has not shipped yet from China.

Now when it comes to the feel, all I can say is WOW! With everything together, the car now brakes as effortlessly as a modern sports car. No hard pedal. No jamming brakes in emergency situations. And this is all with the original calipers...

Here's a poorly made video of an emergency braking test.

My VIN:    2706

Dude this is badass....someday when my completely brand new brake system needs returbed I may go this route.

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    The pedal sensor connector and its pins are easily found on Mouser, as it is manufactured by TE Connectivity. The large ecu connector, however, is a Bosch part which is very difficult to find. However, after looking deeper, I was able to purchase the pins from Nexus Electronics and the housing from Aliexpress in China.
    More to come once I get everything together.
    Wow, great job, impressive. Thanks for sharing. Now I want this in my Volvo Amazon too. Hope you can help me out by sharing some more details.
    What is the part number of the big ECU connector or perhaps even, do you have the links for purchasing the housing and crimp pins?
    Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast