FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Bosch iBooster Retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    Just cut the bubble flares off my lines and reflared them to inverted double flares. I'm using an m10 1.00 on the line. And since the Tesla master uses m12 1.00, I ordered two adapters from ebay.
    Rodolfo, or anyone else needing this, I just thought I'd share that a m12 1.00 nut is available for 3/16 (4.7mm)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/201450179877

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
    Rodolfo, or anyone else needing this, I just thought I'd share that a m12 1.00 nut is available for 3/16 (4.7mm)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/201450179877
    The problem with that is the internal diameter of the flare of the Tesla master. IIRC it is too big to use a 3/16 line directly. You can’t flare a 3/16 line to that size reliably.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Another brake nut

I've used another brake nut, also for 4.75mm (3/16") pipe.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/12mm-x-1mm-...0/181977286574

It has thread all the way to the end. If I remember correctly the pipe seated well.
    At least I have driven it for quite a while without any leaks or issues.
    https://www.evcreate.nl - Enabling your EV conversion project

Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech RamblinDMC's Avatar

My VIN:    2203

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Did you install the actual master cylinder upside down on the booster?

I mounted the Model S iBooster and Master with the plug for the iBooster to be on the top.

EDIT: Actually, seeing the initial pictures of the unit as it comes from Tesla, yes. I unmounted the master from the booster and flipped it. That’s the only way for it to fit in the Delorean.
    Last edited by 81dmc; 07-16-2020 at 03:53 PM.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Engineer

@81dmc

any chance you have more photos showing mods you did to fit ibooster to DeLorean? New or modified bracket? connection to pedal?

I'm doing engine swap (#vin4454 on Facebook) and as my stock booster and master cylinder and dead, I wanted to use some modern unit (even bought separate vacuum pump from Golf!).

However iBooster looks more appealing and used by even more OEMs so price is not that high comparing to NOS DeLorean parts!

I want to do it! Do you also have power steering?

kind regards,
    Marek
    --------

Marek
    Reinsch Engineering Limited (UK)
    restomod #vin4454
    Build HERE

Let me grab some pics when I get the time.

For mounting, all I had to do is drill 4 new holes on the stock booster mounting bracket and bolt it on. Connection to pedal was achieved by buying a threaded rod, cut to size, and mount with coupler stock iBooster rod. I mounted the Tesla clevis to that rod with a bit to lock it in place. With that, the Tesla clevis will fit right up with the Delorean’s pedal.

Also no power steering for me:/

Engineer

@81dmc

thanks for your quick reply!

do you get full pedal travel ? or you think there is a bit left? Can you lock wheels at higher speeds if you press it hard enough ?

thanks,
    Marek
    --------

Marek
    Reinsch Engineering Limited (UK)
    restomod #vin4454
    Build HERE

Pedal travel is definitely less than stock, but that is why I even did the swap.

If you nail the pedal, yeah you can lock up. The Tesla 50-50 master performs way better than the factory master imo.

Congratulations

81dmc,

Congratulations for a very insightful and innovative upgrade. In one fell swoop, you solved the problems associated with vacuum and hydraulic boosters.

Your approach became even more meaningful after reading the line, the iBooster has a two-phase safety concept [which] provides a deceleration force of 0.4 g at a pedal force of 200 Newton in the Bosch whitepaper (iBooster – Vacuum-independent electromechanical brake booster).

I hope the 200 Newtons is short-hand for 200nm because I believe that would produce enough brake line pressure to stop the Crazymobile if the iBooster Master Cylinder bore is 1 inch.

If I may ask:

Your photo looked like a Gen 1 iBooster. Am I correct?
    What pin-out configuration did you use to get everything working properly?
    Did you retain the existing Brake Light Momentary Switch?
    Do you have any measurements of the iBooster’s physical size, excluding the length of the brake pedal rod and clevis?

Tomorrow I’ll try contacting Bosch US to get some additional technical information. If I get anything, I’ll pass it on to you. But the caveat is companies often have liability concerns that frequently outweighs their desire to freely provide technical product information.

But we’ll see what happens.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast