FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Bosch iBooster Retrofit

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

I have my setup finally installed in my car, retaining the stock master. Aside from the fill hole not lining up I can get the closing plate on just fine!

Also thank you for all your help with this project Rodolfo

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    As for travel, there is less because you have more of an assisted advantage with the ibooster. no need to push the pedal to the floor. This will not be a concern regardless of the master cylinder.
    I was just reading and this way of thinking is wrong. Stroke is not variable. All a booster does is help you push the the pedal the length of the stroke.

If you measure the maximum stroke of the ibooster, you can compare it to the stroke of the stock vacuum booster.

If the ibooster has less useable stroke than the stock one, you will have less useable braking power with the stock master.

On another note, I have purchased a Model Y master for the fluid tank. Let’s see if that fits...

I also purchased a Ford Fiesta master cylinder as it’s a similar Bosch style, but it has a better matched .82” bore. The DeLorean is .63” iirc and the Tesla is a 1”. The 1” bore is why the brakes are too touchy with the Tesla master...
    Last edited by 81dmc; 05-19-2021 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Fixed a detail
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

I understand that the stroke does not change. But you dont need to bury the pedal into the floor to get the car to stop due to a 40 year old leaky booster.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I understand that the stroke does not change. But you dont need to bury the pedal into the floor to get the car to stop due to a 40 year old leaky booster.
    A bad booster would only make the pedal hard to push. It’s impossible to bury the brake pedal to the floor with a bad booster unless you are the incredible hulk. But I’m just poking at the specifics .

From the factory, the DeLorean already had an undersized vacuum booster due to size constraints. That small size limits the amount of vacuum assist provided, which is probably why stocks brakes feel like an old truck...

Let us know how that unique setup works one you get out on the road... pretty curious if it will make the braking effortless. Maybe video the pedal action?

Also to everyone else, looks like oudevolvo.nl got some connector kits together. Much better solution than I had in 2018.
    Last edited by 81dmc; 05-20-2021 at 04:34 PM.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Im also very excited to see how it works. Just finishing up the wiring now. Jimmy and Luke are helping me out as its hard to find suppliers for these connectors that ship to canada.

As far as i can gather the only stock part of my brake system left are the hard lines and the master cylinder!

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

My VIN:    2706

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post

Also to everyone else, looks like oudevolvo.nl got some connector kits together. Much better solution than I had in 2018.

Do you have a link. I bought all the pins and connectors you helped me out with . But would be curious to see what's being offered out there .

Quote Originally Posted by powerline84 View Post
    Yep.

Way better than my current solution which uses RTV to seal the wires to the connector housing!

I may buy his connector when I do the reservoir and master retrofits...

Time to retrofit my retrofit

So, the Model Y reservoir is an almost perfect fit in the DeLorean.

E8A72C70-1BC3-48C6-9C5C-835D7CD1AA01.jpg67AE4EA9-1802-4629-8231-3163647F065D.jpg5FE63130-6FEA-4773-9ED0-F686DF92DFF5.jpg

Very little clearance between spare well, but it fits.

I measured a stock DMC master, and it’s a .81” bore. Ford Fiesta master has a .82” bore with M12 bubble flares on the correct side. Model Y master has a 1.0” bore with M12 bubble flare on the correct side.

I’m going to test both Fiesta and Model Y master to see which bore fits my liking. This test will be in a few months (prob a year) because I kinda need an engine first...

Also going to see if a Gen 2 iBooster will fit.

Well this was quick... and stupid.

Ford Fiesta and Model Y master cylinder will only fit on a vacuum booster or Gen 2 iBooster. On top of that, there no way in hell a Gen 2 will ever fit in a delorean.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast