FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Bosch iBooster Retrofit

Sounds like it's worked well. I would have expected issues with the bias.

Question

Hi guys, thank you all for the information shared in this tread. I'd like to ask some questions for those who may be able to answer.

Has anyone hooked their iBooster brake assist up so as they have assist without engine running? Or were you concerned about flattening battery?
    Is anyone able to confirm the Amperage of the iBooster? And is this current draw closer to linear or exponential as pedal is depressed?? - And/Or relative to torque effort on the pedal/master cylinder??

Does anyone know if there is software or a means of re-mapping the pedal assist available to us? Obviously the manufacturer of car/model that the iBooster each of us has used will be different in several ways and the iBooster and the assist will be different as a result of the parameters set. Some Tesla's were recalled recently due to poor braking performance and the iBooster's were re-mapped to correct this at the expense of a little reclaimed momentum to recharge their batteries; however, this process might only be hands-on access for Bosch employees and Car manufacturer's technicians at the moment.

I am thinking about purchasing a generation 2 iBooster as the brake assist is higher, the unit is lighter and the different shape/dimensions are still suitable to my particular chassis. I noted recently that the generation 2 iBooster appears to use a different 4 pin plug, but the larger of the two appears to be the same.
    Does anyone have any experience or remarks on the generation 2 unit? I'm assuming it function just the same in 'standalone' or 'fail-safe' mode as has been pointed out here.

I'm wondering if anyone has confirmed the terminals and connector part numbers for the generation 2 iBooster? That would be excellent.
    What about a visual pinout out of the main and 4 pin connectors? Any recommendations for wire sizes for particular terminals??

Any info greatly appreciated, these iBoosters are a real game changer!
    Last edited by Gadget; 11-09-2018 at 07:38 PM.

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    Hi guys, thank you all for the information shared in this tread. I'd like to ask some questions for those who may be able to answer.

Has anyone hooked their iBooster brake assist up so as they have assist without engine running? Or were you concerned about flattening battery?
    Is anyone able to confirm the Amperage of the iBooster? And is this current draw closer to linear or exponential as pedal is depressed?? - And/Or relative to torque effort on the pedal/master cylinder??
    No idea on this one, however, I would assume it is relative to the effort of the assist motor. I used the factory fuse size of 40amps just in case.

Does anyone know if there is software or a means of re-mapping the pedal assist available to us? Obviously the manufacturer of car/model that the iBooster each of us has used will be different in several ways and the iBooster and the assist will be different as a result of the parameters set. Some Tesla's were recalled recently due to poor braking performance and the iBooster's were re-mapped to correct this at the expense of a little reclaimed momentum to recharge their batteries; however, this process might only be hands-on access for Bosch employees and Car manufacturer's technicians at the moment.
    Never heard of this. The only thing I've heard is a change in the amount of regenerative braking on some Tesla models. That came with version 9.0. Nothing to do with iBoosters.

Additionally, my father owns a 2016 Model X which I bring to service for him, and I have never heard of an iBooster recall.

Anyways, good luck with the Gen 2 booster!
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    Never heard of this. The only thing I've heard is a change in the amount of regenerative braking on some Tesla models. That came with version 9.0. Nothing to do with iBoosters.

Additionally, my father owns a 2016 Model X which I bring to service for him, and I have never heard of an iBooster recall.

I came across some posts on issues with the gen 2 iBooster last night. Seems to be an internal or assembly issue with those ones.
    See: https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/2...dal-noise.html
    See also: https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/...e_brakes.shtml

As of the date of this post, Honda has recalled and superseded part numbers: 01469-TVA-A23; -A22; -A21; -A20. And the current part number is: 01469-TVA-A24.
    See here also: http://hondapartsnetwork.com/part/97...bly-Rewritable

Not sure if these part numbers are recorded on the iBooster gen 2 after it leaves Bosch's assembly plant; but just wanted to let you guys know in case you look at buying one online and it's a dudd!

Defiantly were issues with how the gen 1 iBooster was operating on the Tesla range; wasn't able to find specifics, because it's Telsa lol
    Last edited by Gadget; 11-10-2018 at 03:34 AM.

There was some confusion over the terminals required previously, so for others looking, I can confirm some details regarding the larger connector:

Bosch 026 EuCon Connector: 1 928 405 762; - 763; -764. (Check keying on your device)
    1.5mm Terminals: 1 928 498 705; 1 928 498 805. (Depending on wire/insulation diameter required)
    2.8mm Terminals: 1 928 498 806.
    4.8mm Terminals: 1 928 498 807.

My VIN:    Early

There was some confusion over the terminals required previously, so for others looking, I can confirm some details regarding the larger connector:

Bosch 026 EuCon Connector: 1 928 405 762; - 763; -764. (Check keying on your device)
    1.5mm Terminals: 1 928 498 705; 1 928 498 805. (Depending on wire/insulation diameter required)
    2.8mm Terminals: 1 928 498 806.
    4.8mm Terminals: 1 928 498 807.
    We're you able to find a supplier for the 2.8 terminal?
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

We're you able to find a supplier for the 2.8 terminal?
    Yes, I will post up the info once I've received them and all is good.

Also have an alternative supplier to Alibaba for the connectors.

They need to be purchased in lots of 5/10/200; but price is not much more comparatively and they will be 100% OEM.

interesting!

I also managed to source all connectors
    Nexeclec: 1928498705
    Misietech: 1928498806
    Misietech: 1928498807
    Haven't tested them yet, but I assume it works out.
    Curious on what other options others might have.

Temporarily installed the iBooster in out daily driver Volvo Amazon to make sure it all works out when installing it in the one I'm converting to full electric.
    Here is my whole story of testing and installing it:

Testing the Tesla iBooster power brakes

After adding a residual valve (I have drums in the back), it works great.
    I achieved 1,2G with hardly any pedal force.
    Tesla-iBooster-in-Volvo-Amazon.jpg

There is a Service Bulletin what I found when doing research SB-10056660-3632
    It says:
    The electromechanical brake booster might have been improperly operated during initial vehicle assembly. This could increase the likelihood of the brake booster entering a fail-safe mode
    Was issued in October 2014.

My iBooster gets powered as soon as I turn the ignition on.
    I managed to get it drawing 14 Amps. Looks like it is more pedal force = more current.
    In IDLE it draws 0,25A.
    When you switch the ignition off, it continues to draw 0,25A for a short while and after that drops to 12 mA.
    Tesla used the following fuses for the 12V connections:
    1 = 12V permanent 40A fused
    17 = 12V permanent fused 5A
    20 = 12V ignition 5A fused
    I started checking this after I had a flat battery and blamed the iBooster.
    But I think the radio flattened the battery instead.
    iBooster has now been hooked up with pin 1 and 17 permanently connected for 5 days and the battery is still OK.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast