FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Bosch iBooster Retrofit

My VIN:    2706

Time to join the club Screenshot_20201006-120024.jpg

Thanks for.pavimg the way on this mod !

Engineer

anybody tried iBooster gen2 from model 3/Y ?

I'm planning to fit that unit. Clearance to body is fine (checked in 3D CAD), but not so sure about frame/fuel tank as I don't have that area 3D scanned/modelled.

Anybody has good photos of stock booster when installed (frame and body on) --> how does clearance to frame look like? I have old booster and will model it. Based on that I would have some reference.

Cheers,
    Marek
    --------

Marek
    Reinsch Engineering Limited (UK)
    restomod #vin4454
    Build HERE

Just based off looking at it I think you can make it work . Neither gen 1 or 2 reservoirs will clear the cover panel I don't think but I will take some measurements of my gen 1 and post on here in the next couple days. There has been some talk of a model x brake resovoir clearing the cover but no one has gotten ahold of one to try it out . Plus it looks like a donkey di#$ to me lol. I am just gonna clearance the cover to use the 2015 model s reservoir then make my own cover.

Engineer

For reservoir I'm not that concerned as long as there is no clash (looking in CAD it will be fine for gen2). I can always cut new access hole/make new cover if not exactly in correct place.

My biggest worry is clearance to frame and steering column shaft. Looking on booster, it is "hanging" down more than stock booster:

Tesla-Model-3-LHD-iBooster-1044671-00-E.jpg

thanks for your help!
    --------

Marek
    restomod #vin4454
    Build HERE

My VIN:    5510

Which CAD models are you referring to?

I've been looking for a high quality CAD model of the DeLorean without much luck. (I've got one of the frame, but not any components on it or the body)

Engineer

I've invested over 400 GBP to 3d scan rear section of frame, transmission and part of engine room. I also have my new engine. Did all that before doing engine swap to make sure all will fit nicely. Since that time I've modelled many parts for my project. Including front body section around brake booster to make sure new booster can fit. Don't have accurate model of front section of frame, so can't fully validate the gen2 iBooster clearance. Found one from 2019 model 3 for 250GBP including shipping, so will just buy it and see how it goes.

Plus found some outer shell CAD on the internet that I aligned to my model.

--------

Marek
    restomod #vin4454
    Build HERE

Engineer

For those who consider iBooster Gen2.

Please note there is difference between ibooster from LHD vehicle and RHD vehicle.

LHD booster:

RHD booster:

as you can see configs are slightly different. You can flip master cylinder 180degree like in GEN1. Looking in CAD, both might fit from body side perspective, however only in one orientation.
    Unfortunately, still can't confirm clearance to frame.
    referring to photos from first page of this topic --> not much space under GEN1 booster. GEN2 is hanging lower for sure which might be blocking point. As I wrote previously, booster fits only in one orientation, so if you were to flip it to clear frame, you would hit body.

So far I can say that I think that Gen2 RHD ibooster is better way to go than Gen2 LHD.

However, I'm starting to think that Gen1 is a way to go as I know it fits. Unfortunately, nearly double the price of Gen2 in Europe! Sic!
    --------

Marek
    restomod #vin4454
    Build HERE

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

I have a model 3 booster in the mail right now. I will bolt it up when it gets here. I intend on retaining the stock delorean master and reservoir.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

I took some rough measurements to assist people from a gen 1 perspective. Note that I have already flipped the master and the reservoir is stock 2015 model s.
    Attached Images

Engineer

iBooster gen2 is 50mm

iBooster gen2 is about 100mm

Master cylinder is at 45degree on ibooster but you can rotate that if you get your Delorean one to fit. Quite sure pin will be a problem.

Clearance wise at 45 degree you should be OK between ibooster and body (about 9mm) as long as small connector is on top. Will not fit otherwise.

can't confirm clearance to frame, but ibooster gen2 hangs 50mm lower than stock delorean booster.

edit: with 45 angle rotation it hangs lower only 35mm, so some improvement
    Last edited by Reinsch; 11-12-2020 at 04:40 PM.
    --------

Marek
    restomod #vin4454
    Build HERE

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast