FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Speedo just like stopped working.

My VIN:    07000

Speedo just like stopped working.

Up to this morning my Speedometer was working pretty okay - it’s always been a little off showing true speed, but the odometer has always been accurate.
    This morning I couldn’t avoid some flotsam and jetsam on the road as there had been an accident just moments before - so we were all moving fairly slow - like 5mph or even less, and there was really no way around it.
    Being my car is sitting on lowered Euro spec springs, I just had to pray I’d clear the little bits here and there.
    Needless to say, something plastic got stuck for a few seconds and then went away, but I’m kinda thinking it may have caught the speedo cable? The speedometer worked fine all the way to work- about 48 Miles, but there was nothing on the way home.

Thoughts, and where should I check? Also, is the connector from outside to in the cabin near the clutch pedal?

Thanks,
    Greg

My VIN:    Between VINs

Angle drive.

Top speedo cable runs from the speedo to the yellow box by the pedals, the lambda counter. Second cable runs from there down through to the front wheel hub to the angle drive. It's a common failure item, search around for videos and advice on them.

My VIN:    6409

Club(s):   (DOC-UK) (DOI)

Sounds like the angle drive to...
    If your changing the angle drive best practice would be to get a new lower speedo cable at the same time while your there

Shane
    only from the past can we choose the correct path for the future...

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

It would be something that either damaged the lower cable, loosened the lower cabled to the point it came off the angle drive or the angle drive & dust cap cable itself.

You can turn the wheels full right and be able to see the lower cable coming off the drive in order to see if that has been damaged or disconnected. If it is the angle drive you'll take the wheel off, check the cable going from the dust cap to the drive and then remove the drive. I've had a few times where a damaged cable would last going all the way to where I was going, but then fail after going in reverse to exit a parking spot to get home.
    -----Dan B.

Thanks everyone. And I did hear a funny little sound from there backing up yesterday...

Well, the cable to it was kinda loose so i tightened it up, but since we’re doing a tech day soon, I’ll order a new angle drive and cable. Wouldn’t be such a big deal if my fuel gauge worked right. Got a new sender a while ago from Hervey and still get bad or no readings.

My VIN:    2706

If you send in your angle drive to pj Grady he can rebuild it . It will probably work better then the repro. Lots of complaints of the repro units not lasting long on here.

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by powerline84 View Post
    If you send in your angle drive to pj Grady he can rebuild it . It will probably work better then the repro. Lots of complaints of the repro units not lasting long on here.
    I don't have one, but I would recommend Grady's rebuilt ones as well! If this excellent Martin G. unit ever fails that is where I'm going.
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Don't just order parts for the sake of replacing things. Do a little bit if investigation. Maybe you only need a new dust cover. Maybe you need everything. How many times do you want to order parts? Start by removing the left, front tire and examining the dust cover hole. It must be square and the metal cable must go deep enough so that it engages into the dust cover. Hook a drill to the metal cable and see if the speedometer moves. If it doesn't remove the cable from the adapter and hook the drill to the cable and see if the speedometer moves now. Keep going until you find the source of the problem. Then you can order the parts you really need. As long as you are doing the job you might as well lubricate the angle drive and the cables. The angle drive is supposed to be lubricated EVERY oil change (or once a year). Make sure you have the support bracket for the lower cable. Many cars do not or they are broken.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    Midproduction

Quote Originally Posted by powerline84 View Post
    ^ditto. I went through 4 other repros before Grady's unit, which is the only one that has lasted more than a year of daily driving. That said, I'd confirm the failure point on your speedometer line before you go any route.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast