FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Speedo just like stopped working.

My VIN:    07000

All good info and advice. I’ll see if I can get the front of the car up this weekend sometime. Being I’ve never had a good functioning fuel gauge - the original sender was falling apart (which I was surprised to find after having DMC Ca do a complete check of the car after I bought it, and they never mentioned replacing it). Bought a new one from Hervey, and most the time I get a wrong reading, or “empty” on a full tank. So been using the Odometer to gauge how far I can go before a fill. Pretty much given up on the gauge working. David T had mentioned it might be something with the ground to the pump, but the pump on mine is outside the tank, in-line.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Don't just order parts for the sake of replacing things. Do a little bit if investigation. Maybe you only need a new dust cover. Maybe you need everything. How many times do you want to order parts? Start by removing the left, front tire and examining the dust cover hole. It must be square and the metal cable must go deep enough so that it engages into the dust cover. Hook a drill to the metal cable and see if the speedometer moves. If it doesn't remove the cable from the adapter and hook the drill to the cable and see if the speedometer moves now. Keep going until you find the source of the problem. Then you can order the parts you really need. As long as you are doing the job you might as well lubricate the angle drive and the cables. The angle drive is supposed to be lubricated EVERY oil change (or once a year). Make sure you have the support bracket for the lower cable. Many cars do not or they are broken.
    What David said.

Rod

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

+ 1. On what David said.

If you stick a drill on the spindle stub cable remember to run the drill CCW or Reverse too mimic forward wheel rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    2706

Rob was able to rebuild my spare origional smiths. He works magic with those angle drives. Got a a short lower cable coming to . If you end up needing to go down that road . I sent him my angle drive last week and it's already rebuilt .

Quote Originally Posted by powerline84 View Post
    Rob was able to rebuild my spare origional smiths. He works magic with those angle drives. Got a a short lower cable coming to . If you end up needing to go down that road . I sent him my angle drive last week and it's already rebuilt .
    Good to know!

My VIN:    2706

20180224_155624.jpg

Rebuilt Origional Smiths angle drive , lubed, and a pre lubed lower Speedo cable. Turned around in less then a week by Rob Grady. Super happy with the experience.

Well, it turned out the spring thing that connects the angle drive to the dust cap sheared off at the dust cap. So, something was causing it to hang up - either in the angle drive or the lower speedo cable.

We replaced it during our recent tech day with a new drive from DMC (which no longer has the lube port..?), and lower cable.

All is well now, but my speedo is still off, I'm thinking due to the tires the previous owner installed which are just a bit larger than stock.

Now on to figuring out why my fuel sender or gauge had never worked right.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    Well, it turned out the spring thing that connects the angle drive to the dust cap sheared off at the dust cap. So, something was causing it to hang up - either in the angle drive or the lower speedo cable.

We replaced it during our recent tech day with a new drive from DMC (which no longer has the lube port..?), and lower cable.

All is well now, but my speedo is still off, I'm thinking due to the tires the previous owner installed which are just a bit larger than stock.

Now on to figuring out why my fuel sender or gauge had never worked right.
    Larger rear tires will throw off the reading but so will the reproduction angle drives currently in use as they all spin at one to one AFAIK. The DeLorean original unit drive gear is 18 teeth and the driven is 16 teeth which is a 13% differential. You'll have to bring both factors into balance if you want an accurate reading. Start be measuring your tire's diameter versus stock and then factor in the angle drive innaccuracy and you'll have your answer. I'll let you do the math. The fix may be more complicated still if you want to match ratios and tire sizes as there are few options.
    Rob

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Larger rear tires have nothing to do with speedometer readings on the Delorean. A larger front tire would reduce your indicated gauge speed and vice versa.

DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Larger rear tires have nothing to do with speedometer readings on the Delorean. A larger front tire would reduce your indicated gauge speed and vice versa.

Yes it was an obvious typo but I trust no one here has removed their rear wheels to look for an angle drive in response to my post. If they have then may I suggest it's time to rotate the tires!
    Rob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2