FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: No spark

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
    Hi!

Installed the Ignition tester light between a spark plug and the wire from distributor.
    Cranked the egnine. No spark, except from when I shut of the ignition. (On one of the two plug wires I checked)
    I’ve read about that exact same symptom in a different “no spark” thread here on dmctalk. Or maybe on the eurotech forum.

Sadly I don’t remember what the cause was...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My VIN:    01598

Club(s):   (DCH)

Checking spark from coil to distributor:
    https://www.facebook.com/sveinapelan...382510259/?t=0

Checking spark on plugs:
    https://www.facebook.com/sveinapelan...393000259/?t=0

Connected a test light between negative post on coil and battery positive post to see if light flashes on and off, meaning Pickup and ECU should be ok:
    https://www.facebook.com/sveinapelan...399200259/?t=0
    Svein Apeland

1981 DMC DeLorean DMC-12, VIN: 01598. Gas flap hood, manual transmission, black interior, wide stripe, galvanized frame, Spax shocks and UK club exhaust.
    x1973 Plymouth Road Runner
    x1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
    x1975 Chevrolet El Camino
    x1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring
    x1966 Lincoln Continental
    x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Did you ever get spark to jump from the coil tower to a ground or neg post on the coil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Either coil should spark according to those readings....try the test I posted above to confirm if the below doesn't help.

If the battery will crank the engine over ok by itself, it is hot enough for spark.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
    Put a Ignition tester light between distributor and wire from coil to distributor, and it glows while I crank.
    I pull off the distributor cap and inspect the rotor an cap, and find some oxidation. (I am going to buy new ones, but I don't have them at hand right now)
    i brushed off the oxidation and cleaned them up. Checked that the rotor in fact turns while I crank.
    Put the rotor and cap back on.
    Installed the Ignition tester light between a spark plug and the wire from distributor.
    Cranked the egnine. No spark, except
    from when I shut of the ignition. (On one of the two plug wires I checked)
    Hoped the cleaning of the cap and rotor should give me some spark in the test light.....

Read somewhere that if you put an ice pick light tester on the negative post on coil and on to the positive battery cable post, the light should go off and on while cranking,
    It did, but I would not say it went off, but rather that the light dimmed off and on..... If this happend that meant that the ECU should be good, as the TACH reading also said.

Mesured the resictance in the pick up coil, which fluctuated while I was cranking, mening that the pick up coil should be good as well. (I read somewhere....)

Keep in mind I disconnected the RPM relay to stop fuel pump while cranking. (Or does the RPM relay have anything to say on the ignition?

Any input?
    Sparking only when you shut the ignition off suggests that the coils trigger circuit is always grounded. (It would fire whichever plug the rotor happened to be pointed at when the key was turned to OFF.) But if that were the case, the ignition tester (and tach) shouldn't be indicating continuous spark while you crank it over.
    So, the only thing I can think of that may fit is a cap with its coil terminal shorted to the plug terminal feeding the only plug you are seeing fire...

=====

No. The ignition doesn't need the RPM relay.
    If there are no shorted wires etc. between them it doesn't matter WRT no spark. The relay uses the tach signal to know it is ok to supply power to the fuel pump and CPR.

P.S. Your Facebook links require an account....

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Either coil should spark according to those readings....try the test I posted above to confirm if the below doesn't help.

If the battery will crank the engine over ok by itself, it is hot enough for spark.

Sparking only when you shut the ignition off suggests that the coils trigger circuit is always grounded. (It would fire whichever plug the rotor happened to be pointed at when the key was turned to OFF.) But if that were the case, the ignition tester (and tach) shouldn't be indicating continuous spark while you crank it over.
    So, the only thing I can think of that may fit is a cap with its coil terminal shorted to the plug terminal feeding the only plug you are seeing fire...

=====

No. The ignition doesn't need the RPM relay.
    If there are no shorted wires etc. between them it doesn't matter WRT no spark. The relay uses the tach signal to know it is ok to supply power to the fuel pump and CPR.

P.S. Your Facebook links require an account....
    Hey!

Sorry Ron, I totally missed your earlier post.
    I will try that today.

Ill post the videos here.
    Svein Apeland

1981 DMC DeLorean DMC-12, VIN: 01598. Gas flap hood, manual transmission, black interior, wide stripe, galvanized frame, Spax shocks and UK club exhaust.
    x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

Testing Distributor from negative terminal to battery positive post Delorean
    https://youtu.be/oHRR7ZB-ufs

Testing spark from coil wire to distributor cap Delorean
    https://youtu.be/bmkuDlzQZ0A

Testing spark from sparkplug wire to sparkplug Delorean
    https://youtu.be/x3NxgwJnDpI
    Svein Apeland

x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

Was the king lead from the coil to the distributor ever changed? Or is it still the old red one?

Quote Originally Posted by minispeedstar View Post
    Was the king lead from the coil to the distributor ever changed? Or is it still the old red one?
    Well... Its barely used, but bought 8 years ago. Thinking of the condition the cap and rotor is in, I ordered new wires and plugs with the cap and rotor.

Last time it would not start it was exactly this I had to change. This was right before I started the restoration.
    Svein Apeland

x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

Original NOS? As I've found they don't age well if it's an original red type lead.

Quote Originally Posted by minispeedstar View Post
    Original NOS? As I've found they don't age well if it's an original red type lead.
    Nope, it was black.. That is all I know!
    Svein Apeland

x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast