FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: No spark

My VIN:    01598

Club(s):   (DCH)

No spark

No spark, car wont start. Engine gets gas. As some may know I am finishing my frame off restoration. I have had the car running well for some time, but suddently a few months ago car would not start. I have a new coil and resistor. The engine harness, main harness, fuses and relays are new. Plugs and plugwires are 8 years old, but barley used. I have checked the inertia switch and pulled out one plug to check for spark. I put a wire between + on coil and jump start post. No luck. Any tips on what check next?
    Svein Apeland

1981 DMC DeLorean DMC-12, VIN: 01598. Gas flap hood, manual transmission, black interior, wide stripe, galvanized frame, Spax shocks and UK club exhaust.
    x1973 Plymouth Road Runner
    x1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
    x1975 Chevrolet El Camino
    x1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring
    x1966 Lincoln Continental
    x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

No spark

It wouldn’t hurt to unplug and reconnect the ignition ECU connector. The ECU is mounted under the Idle ECU behind the Driver seat.

Mine somehow lost connection within the connector contacts. It happened a couple times before I discovered the problem. Once while just sitting in the garage and the other while driving and was like I turned the key off. I discovered the fault by accident, I had checked through the usual suspect areas with no luck. The only thing left was the ECU. I put my hand on the connector and wiggled it just a little. Then turned the key and it fired up instantly, the Ah ha moment. I wiggled it a little while the engine was running and sure enough it shut down. At that point I removed the connecter took a look at the terminal contacts. Nothing looked dirty, but I connected and disconnected it a few times to scratch the terminals to one another.

It has been fine ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DMC5180; 02-17-2018 at 02:15 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Check battery voltage. If less than 11 volts charge battery. If greater, measure the voltage at the + terminal of the ignition coil with the key on.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10201

Check bulkhead connectors. One of wires in my had gotten pulled out before.

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Check your pulse coil resistance and the pulse coil connector wire connection. I have seen at least one failed pulse coil wire and a faulty pulse coil over the years.

Also check the ICM circuit to make sure the module is getting power.
    Last edited by Andrew; 02-17-2018 at 06:56 PM.
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    It wouldn’t hurt to unplug and reconnect the ignition ECU connector. The ECU is mounted under the Idle ECU behind the Driver seat.

Mine somehow lost connection within the connector contacts. It happened a couple times before I discovered the problem. Once while just sitting in the garage and the other while driving and was like I turned the key off. I discovered the fault by accident, I had checked through the usual suspect areas with no luck. The only thing left was the ECU. I put my hand on the connector and wiggled it just a little. Then turned the key and it fired up instantly, the Ah ha moment. I wiggled it a little while the engine was running and sure enough it shut down. At that point I removed the connecter took a look at the terminal contacts. Nothing looked dirty, but I connected and disconnected it a few times to scratch the terminals to one another.

It has been fine ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No luck there.
    Svein Apeland

1981 DMC DeLorean DMC-12, VIN: 01598. Gas flap hood, manual transmission, black interior, wide stripe, galvanized frame, Spax shocks and UK club exhaust.
    x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
    No luck there.
    The two pin connector from the pickup sensor near the drivers side firewall gets very corroded. Check that connector.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    The two pin connector from the pickup sensor near the drivers side firewall gets very corroded. Check that connector.
    Looks ok
    Svein Apeland

x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

According to manual if voltage between terminal 1 on coil and ground shows less than 0,5V there is a short circuit in ECU module. Mine shows 4,5V.... (Battery Voltage over 12V)
    Svein Apeland

x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

My VIN:    3937

You said you had the car running well for sometime and then suddenly, a few months ago, it wouldn't start. Is this before you started the frame off restoration, or after you had begun putting the car back together?

If the car has not run well since before the restoration, I would suggest going back through your connections, one by one, and confirming not only that the routing is correct, but that each connection point is clean and secure.

If the car was running well after you had things put back together and then suddenly wasn't able to start, I would be trying to figure out what exactly you were doing on the car right after it last ran well. Perhaps you have notes or a log you keep of your progress or maybe just some pictures that'll help you figure it out. If it wasn't a specific part that you were working on at either installing or replacing, then it might have been something nearby you bumped loose while in there.

I would try and figure out a better timeline of when the problem started and what exactly changed at that point. Then focus your efforts looking there.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast