FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: BUYER/SELLER BEWARE: Username "Mattglas"

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Thanks for replying to the thread Matt.

Just to cover a few things:
    -I always deal in USD when I am on this forum, as I am dealing with people from the US mostly. But I could see the confusion with me being Canadian.
    -I'm glad your dad and you got things sorted out, I do not appreciate how he treated me but I'm not losing any sleep over it either.
    -I have received the pedals from Derrin already, and would prefer not to drag him into this further.

I paid Derrin $50 USD (Pedals) + $60.95 USD (Shipping) which turned out to be $110.95 USD Total

If you refund me this money I would call this issue resolved.

You could potentially ship your pedals to Derrin and he pay you back $50, but with the shipping cost it may not be worth it, and they were just sitting on a shelf so he probably does not need them. I will tell him to take a look at this thread and chime in just in case.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    5786, 3196

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post

-I always deal in USD when I am on this forum, as I am dealing with people from the US mostly. But I could see the confusion with me being Canadian.
    -I'm glad your dad and you got things sorted out, I do not appreciate how he treated me but I'm not losing any sleep over it either.
    -I have received the pedals from Derrin already, and would prefer not to drag him into this further.

I paid Derrin $50 USD (Pedals) + $60.95 USD (Shipping) which turned out to be $110.95 USD Total

You could potentially ship your pedals to Derrin and he pay you back $50, but with the shipping cost it may not be worth it, and they were just sitting on a shelf so he probably does not need them. I will tell him to take a look at this thread and chime in just in case.

Josh is right; my pedals were left over from my auto-to-manual swap and sitting on a shelf. My wife's DeLorean is still an auto, but pedal boxes don't really ever go bad, so I don't foresee ever needing one.

So, since I don't need it, and any involvement from me would likely just complicate the situation (and incur unnecessary shipping costs that would be more than the stated value of the pedals), I'll let you guys come to a resolution on your own. The only reason I kept my auto pedal box is in the rare event that someone needed it. Someone will probably need the one in question, even if it sits on a shelf for years until that happens (or sooner if Josh makes a fabrication mistake on mine, lol).

Side note: I hope Matt can get out from under his (seemingly) controlling dad soon, and that hopefully this changes his dad's attitude a bit. EDIT: I just saw/read the screenshots. Wow.
    Last edited by dmruschell; 03-15-2018 at 12:47 PM.
    -Derrin

5786: DPI cams and cat-less exhaust, galvanized and powder coated manual frame for a proper 5-speed conversion

3196 - My wife's DeLorean: DMCH new build, DPI rebuilt engine with performance cams and exhaust

1956 Oldsmobile Super 88
    1960 Chevrolet Impala
    1961 Corvette
    1972 Buick Skylark GS 455 Clone
    1975 Corvette (to be sold once restored)
    1976 Corvette (wife's car)
    1979 Corvette Daily Driver
    1987 Corvette (technically wife's car)

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I have one last thing to add. It's not something Josh will mention because he's a humble guy, but it's insulting that your dad would think he's a scammer because he thought modifying an automatic box as stupid bs and obviously a scam. Josh is an extremely talented fabricator and engineer. His reasoning for using an automatic box was that someone without his talents could benefit from the more valuable manual box (like yourself) while he could then modify the less valuable automatic box, and therefore leave 2 owners with the cars they wanted. Anyone else would have just modified the manual box without considering trying to help another owner.

Have your dad take a look at the car Josh has created. His work more than speaks for itself.

Here's another:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY9bqgO_py0

On a side note, do you have any other parts to convert the car to manual or just the pedals? Do you know how many parts are involved? Obviously you need a manual transmission to start. Here's a pretty comprehensive list:

(Credit to DMCMW Dave for list)

*Manual pedal box
    clutch master cylinder
    reservoir and hose
    Clutch slave cylinder
    braided hydraulic line
    solid hydraulic line
    *shifter mechanism
    *shifter ball handle
    noise isolator
    shift boot
    Bell crank
    *linkage including two bars and crossgate
    *linkage on the transmission
    modified frame (lower/reshaped mount plate, extra hole in the back)
    manual transmission
    clutch assembly (pressure plate and disc)
    flywheel
    throwout bearing,
    pilot bearing
    *transmission mounts

* = part not readily available

You also have to modify the frame of the car, either by welding or bolting in a new shifter plate. You also have to do a small bit of cutting and drilling.

I guess I'm a little confused. If you have all these parts, your dad had to know what you were up to right? If you don't have all the parts, were you planning to swap the pedals before you got any of the other parts? I suppose you could still drive an automatic car with a manual pedal box; might be a little odd but it should work. Just curious; when I did my conversion, the pedals were the last thing I did. Here's some past threads on the subject that may help you on your way.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?56...new-pedal-pads
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?15...ght=conversion
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?14...ual+conversion
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?66...ual+conversion
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?31...ual+conversion
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 03-15-2018 at 02:36 PM.

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Credit to Matt for stepping up (with details,) apologizing, and making things right.....I respect that.

+1

Reading those text messages from Matt's dad was especially telling of how this all went down. If anything it sounded like Matt was being the adult in this situation and his dad was the one acting like the kid.

I hope both Josh and Matt can figure something out, especially now since the situation is even more complicated with Josh having bought a second auto pedal box because his was in limbo.

Matt, hopefully your dad apologizes to you and learns a lesson from this mess. He should be the one paying for shipping costs to make up for his colossal f-up.

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I'll default to siding with Josh just because I know him personally and I don't know mattglas... BUT... if all things are fair, we haven't heard what mattglas' side of the story is and I think he should be able to tell it. Before passing judgement anyway. Not saying anything Josh said isn't likely accurate, but for all we know here, it could be the father that's made the mess and mattglas is unknowingly caught in the middle.
    ATODASO.jpg

Glad to hear you guys are figuring things out.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    2729

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post

I just sent you the $111 over PayPal

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Mattglas View Post
    I just sent you the $111 over PayPal
    You righted a wrong, and it takes a man to do that.

I was wrong about you.

"It takes a big man to admit he was wrong...and today I am that big man"
    Last edited by Michael; 03-16-2018 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I have one last thing to add. It's not something Josh will mention because he's a humble guy, but it's insulting that your dad would think he's a scammer because he thought modifying an automatic box as stupid bs and obviously a scam. Josh is an extremely talented fabricator and engineer. His reasoning for using an automatic box was that someone without his talents could benefit from the more valuable manual box (like yourself) while he could then modify the less valuable automatic box, and therefore leave 2 owners with the cars they wanted. Anyone else would have just modified the manual box without considering trying to help another owner.

Have your dad take a look at the car Josh has created. His work more than speaks for itself.

Here's another:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY9bqgO_py0

On a side note, do you have any other parts to convert the car to manual or just the pedals? Do you know how many parts are involved? Obviously you need a manual transmission to start. Here's a pretty comprehensive list:

(Credit to DMCMW Dave for list)

*Manual pedal box
    clutch master cylinder
    reservoir and hose
    Clutch slave cylinder
    braided hydraulic line
    solid hydraulic line
    *shifter mechanism
    *shifter ball handle
    noise isolator
    shift boot
    Bell crank
    *linkage including two bars and crossgate
    *linkage on the transmission
    modified frame (lower/reshaped mount plate, extra hole in the back)
    manual transmission
    clutch assembly (pressure plate and disc)
    flywheel
    throwout bearing,
    pilot bearing
    *transmission mounts

* = part not readily available

You also have to modify the frame of the car, either by welding or bolting in a new shifter plate. You also have to do a small bit of cutting and drilling.

I guess I'm a little confused. If you have all these parts, your dad had to know what you were up to right? If you don't have all the parts, were you planning to swap the pedals before you got any of the other parts? I suppose you could still drive an automatic car with a manual pedal box; might be a little odd but it should work. Just curious; when I did my conversion, the pedals were the last thing I did. Here's some past threads on the subject that may help you on your way.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?56...new-pedal-pads
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?15...ght=conversion
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?14...ual+conversion
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?66...ual+conversion
    Thanks for the list of threads! I think I have some of those bookmarked already and I definitely know I have the write up you did bookmarked. Your whole website was a great read. I know the swap isn't exactly the easiest thing to do, but I took engineering/shop class in high school for 3 years so I'm used to the whole cutting/welding/CNC process.
    I am using the manual box to drive the automatic transmission right now, though I did remove the clutch pedal to make things less confusing for people checking out the car. I thought it would be better to start collecting all the hard to find parts first just in case they got harder to find in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You righted a wrong, and it takes a man to do that.

I was wrong about you.

"It takes a big man to admit he was wrong...and today I am that big man"
    Thank you for that, I just don't believe in screwing people over.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Thanks for sending the money Matt.

I could have done without being harassed on the phone and having to source another set of pedals but that seems to be beyond your control.
    Best of luck with your 5 speed swap!

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast