FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Auto trans fluid cooler hose replacement question

My VIN:    3937

Auto trans fluid cooler hose replacement question

I am going to be replacing my auto trans cooler hoses before the driving season gets underway. The front one (101793) at the very least because that is the one that is leaking, and perhaps the rear one (108493) too if I feel ambitious.

If the car remains level while in the air for this work, my question is how much auto trans fluid should I expect to come pouring out of the transmission once these cooler hoses are removed?

I have no intention of removing the oil cooler all together and so should not need to open up the coolant system for this job. Just the ATF side.

I don't really need to do an entire ATF change as I did one not long ago and also got the pan all nice and sealed (and would prefer to keep it that way).

Would like to know from someone who has experience working on the auto transmissions how much fluid is going to come out once that cooler hose is removed. Thanks!

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    Midproduction

Only what's inside the hose (if any) when you remove them. Not too messy. The biggest PIA is access and getting enough leverage to undo the pipe swivel hose ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I am going to be replacing my auto trans cooler hoses before the driving season gets underway. The front one (101793) at the very least because that is the one that is leaking, and perhaps the rear one (108493) too if I feel ambitious.

If the car remains level while in the air for this work, my question is how much auto trans fluid should I expect to come pouring out of the transmission once these cooler hoses are removed?

I have no intention of removing the oil cooler all together and so should not need to open up the coolant system for this job. Just the ATF side.

I don't really need to do an entire ATF change as I did one not long ago and also got the pan all nice and sealed (and would prefer to keep it that way).

Would like to know from someone who has experience working on the auto transmissions how much fluid is going to come out once that cooler hose is removed. Thanks!

My VIN:    3294

Just don't wrench too hard on those connections. I got too aggressive with mine last year and snapped them right off. The car ended up on a trailer to spend a couple of days at DMC Midwest.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

My VIN:    Midproduction

Oouch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bfloyd View Post
    just don't wrench too hard on those connections. I got too aggressive with mine last year and snapped them right off. The car ended up on a trailer to spend a couple of days at dmc midwest.

My VIN:    3937

Glad to hear the amount of ATF coming out is minimal.

I've also heard that access to those fittings is no picnic. Snapping one off is no fun!

Any advice from getting it done successfully, or from making a mistake and learning what you needed to do differently?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Glad to hear the amount of ATF coming out is minimal.

I've also heard that access to those fittings is no picnic. Snapping one off is no fun!

Any advice from getting it done successfully, or from making a mistake and learning what you needed to do differently?

I’ve got a spare pipe if you snap it Jonathan

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Thought I posted this ???...
    Get an assortment of soft Tapered Plugs, or Heater Hose Bypass Caps, at the auto parts. You should get away with using just a couple of rags.

Use a backup wrench...