FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Driven (DeLorean Movie) *Merged*

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    What, exactly, is the difference in this day and age?
    “A documentary film is a nonfictional motion picture intended to document reality, primarily for the purposes of instruction, education, or maintaining a historical record.”

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

There's a scene where John DeLorean takes a phone call and it's about his secretary going to the press. His secretary stole documents and flew to England to expose the financial irregularities within the company.

I just read Bill Haddad's book, "Hard Driving: My Years With John DeLorean", which mentions the secretary incident. If I recall, it was Bill's private memo to John that set off a chain of events once the memo was exposed.

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by bytes311 View Post
    There's a scene where John DeLorean takes a phone call and it's about his secretary going to the press. His secretary stole documents and flew to England to expose the financial irregularities within the company.

I just read Bill Haddad's book, "Hard Driving: My Years With John DeLorean", which mentions the secretary incident. If I recall, it was Bill's private memo to John that set off a chain of events once the memo was exposed.
    The Marian Gibson affair. IMHO Haddad was one of the shadier characters in the DMC saga. Besides looking for a story what the hell was he really doing there?
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Well I rather enjoyed it. I watched it with a knowledge that it wasn't going to be a documentary. You know some things would be altered, I still felt the general message of the story got through. I also felt they were quite kind to JZD...maybe even more than he deserved. I don't know why, maybe reading too many reviews from DeLorean fans but I wasn't expecting it to be so good.

I would suggest to anyone who hasn't watched it, step away from the story you know and just enjoy it for story, no matter how much it aligns or fails to align with the facts you have read in the past.

I know that the final scene never happened but it made for a great ending.

Without giving away spoilers..I knew it would end like it did. I think we all saw it coming.

Edit. Just rewatched a scene...WTF was that row of crap where the switches used to be??
    Last edited by Michael; 08-21-2019 at 10:30 PM.

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    “A documentary film is a nonfictional motion picture intended to document reality, primarily for the purposes of instruction, education, or maintaining a historical record.”
    Thanks there, Captain Obvious.

And this is precisely why I write long-ass posts: People either being wise-ass trolls, or missing the point completely. Which of the two is the case here? What does it matter...

Fictitious liberties tend to be taken advantage of when it comes to story telling. What better way to keep a subject interesting by embellishing aspects. Be it some tired retelling that needs a new angle, or a boring story to begin with that no one will pay attention to. Which in this case is quite obviously the former. But there is a difference between a telling a tale and professing to be on the level of a documentary. Particularly when you're rewriting history entirely.

It's like why the cereal is called " Froot Loops"; it's a legal loophole since the things are not actually based upon real fruit. Sure, they can even embellish things like claiming "Natural Fruit Flavor", but that doesn't indicate the flavor is derived from actual fruit. Just that the sweetened portion itself is "natural". And the entire purpose is for the company to legally avoid culpability by misrepresenting their product. Same thing with "truTV". They create shows that contain fake stories that they purport to be true. Why else do you think that they refuse to use the actual word "true" in their name? Same exact reasons.

In fact, you'll find that pretty much all "reality" shows are nothing more than fictitious stories that they lie to you about.

Which is the entire point here. The movie may have an excuse of being told from Hoffman's viewpoint, and as such he can be considered an unreliable narrator to excuse all of the gross inaccuracies. Which are not simply limited to JZD himself. Many parts of the story are omitted, as well as aspects of other actual people whom it fails to either properly address or outright insults. Not to mention the marque itself.

Sure, you may indeed see it as entertainment, but perhaps only because you are ware of the falsehoods beforehand going into this movie. But for someone who doesn't have such an advantage, someone who is trusting the film makers to be honest in their storytelling, it's violating the trust of the public.

As the line between entertainment and accuracy erodes with the latter of the two fading away, at what point do you draw the line?
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

And this is precisely why I write long-ass posts: People either being wise-ass trolls, or missing the point completely.
    In that case, I am responsible for a good half of all your posts.

My VIN:    4519

When I park outside a theatre with my DeLorean, I'm going to sign autographs and answer the same questions differently each time.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

Thanks there, Captain Obvious.
    You're welcome. And yes, your posts are long, Captain Longwind.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Well I rather enjoyed it.
    I did too. Very entertaining.

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Ugh. This looks like a complete turd sandwich.

Cue the idiots at the gas station claiming they know the REAL story of John DeLorean because they watched this.

And the youtube screen shot makes it look it's a trailer for the 40 year old virgin, but with mustache.

Just watched it the other day.

I stand by my initial impression of "Turd Sandwich"

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast