FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Engine out/in, best practices

Engine out/in, best practices

I’m replacing my original engine with a B28E.

What’s the easiest way of swapping?

Separating the engine from the transmission while in the car, or lifting out the whole engine/transmission assembly as a whole?

My car is a 5-speed.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

I don't actually know what the best method is, but I pulled my engine and transmission to swap my 2.8L to an Eagle engine. My logic was that it was easier to remove the transmission mounting bolts from the frame than it was to disconnect the transmission itself from the engine while still in the car. Pulling them together also meant that it was easier to mate the new engine to the transmission (or at least it seems like it would be easier to do out of the car).

If I were to do it again, I'd probably do it the same way and remove the engine and trans together. I don't recall there being a lot of things that have to be removed to pull the trans (although it's been a couple of years now); I think just the trans mount bolts and disconnecting the passenger side e-brake cable. Everything else, like the reverse switch, you probably already unplugged when you removed the engine harnesses.

-- Joe

My VIN:    2706

My recommendation is to pull the back half of the car off. Louver , engine cover, rear fascia etc and pull the engine and trans together. Check my build thread.

My VIN:    4087

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

Another vote here for removing both together.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

When I did my swap, I found it "easier" to remove the back of the car as described above and then pull just the engine from the transmission, leaving that in place. I think it is easier to unbolt the transmission from engine rather than to go under unbolting drive shafts, shift cables, e-brake cables, hydraulic lines, mounts etc. Installing the engine and aligning it to the transmission wasn't an issue for me.

BE SURE you swap over the alignment dowels regardless of method. If you don't have them (if the B28E dowels remained in the original transmission and your dowels remain in the current engine leaving nothing between current transmission and B28E), you'll find out when you go to start the engine.
    Last edited by dn010; 02-26-2018 at 02:51 PM.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

A lot depends on what tools you have available and how much help. Probably close to the same amount of work either way but if you have a lift and an engine crane, it probably makes more sense to take out the whole "lump". If you just have an engine crane, taking out just the motor is probably easier but a little harder to put back. Mating the engine to the transmission is easier on the floor rather than in the car.
    David Teitelbaum

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

engine swap

When reinstalling get some long bolts that fit the
    bell housing, cut the heads off and use them as
    alignment pins.....

Thanks guys! A lot of knowledge and insightful comments here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    When reinstalling get some long bolts that fit the
    bell housing, cut the heads off and use them as
    alignment pins.....
    +1 to this, big time.

I did this when mating transmission and engine during my LS swap, and it allowed me to get them together in less than 5 minutes.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    #15768 EX #4584

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

My recommendation is to pull the back half of the car off. Louver , engine cover, rear fascia etc and pull the engine and trans together
    It's how I always do them (and I have removed and re-installed over 10 of them) A lot of it depends on what facilities you have, if you have a full car lift then you may find it easier to leave the transmission in place.
    Chris
    Chris Williams #15768 Back on the road after 14 years. Ex#4584
    Worldwide DeLorean Owners Club: www.deloreans.co.uk Full colour DeLorean magazine shipped worldwide.
    DeLorean Essential Buyers Guide: http://deloreans.co.uk/product/delor...-buyers-guide/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast