FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bent clutch fork pin. How did this happen?

My VIN:    16795

Bent clutch fork pin. How did this happen?

Suddenly today I was having occasional problems putting the car in gear. The clutch wasn't quite disengaging all the way. So I started looking for what could be wrong and found....

20180226_202532.jpg

Any idea how that happened? Am I correct that I have to remove the transmission to replace the clutch fork?

I tried looking inside the bell housing with a snake camera and didn't notice anything that looked scary. This is the best picture I could get of the throwout bearing.

WIN_20180226_21_06_40_Pro.jpg

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Bent clutch fork pin. How did this happen?

Looks like the slave cylinder might not be installed correctly causing the pin to be misaligned. The hole in the pin is now worn too large for the fork and it’s sitting sideways. Did a bolt come loose from the slave cylinder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dn010; 02-26-2018 at 10:18 PM.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Suddenly today I was having occasional problems putting the car in gear. The clutch wasn't quite disengaging all the way. So I started looking for what could be wrong and found....

20180226_202532.jpg

Any idea how that happened? Am I correct that I have to remove the transmission to replace the clutch fork?

I tried looking inside the bell housing with a snake camera and didn't notice anything that looked scary. This is the best picture I could get of the throwout bearing.

WIN_20180226_21_06_40_Pro.jpg
    Yes you would have to R&R the transaxle to service the fork. It looks like the T/O bearing is out of position causing the fork to twist. This normally only can happen if the bearing comes out of position while installing the transmission. We always pull the fork pin into the slave cylinder and lock in position with a tiewrap to avoid that possibilty when installing a transaxle. Did you have a noisy throw out bearing before this happened? If the transmission has not recently been removed my guess is catrastophic failure of the bearing which could mean the clutch tube is also damaged. If that's the case you will also need to split the cases. The fork and tube are listed as NLA at DMCH but we have availability should you need one or both along with anything related.
    Rob Grady

Well, here is what I found...
    20180228_010650.jpg20180228_010700.jpg20180228_010743.jpg20180228_010751.jpg

The throwout bearing was about 5 years / 30K miles old. There doesn't seem to be enough bits there to make a working one.

The transmission itself seems ok.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

That is a strange failure. Good to hear your transmission itself appears to be OK.
    Looks like you also need to do the rear main seal.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Looks like you also need to do the rear main seal.
    Seconded!

I would imagine you'll be able to get away with a new throw-out bearing if you can sort out the clutch fork. If the pin on the fork is bent or wallowed out, you'll probably need to come up with a way to fix/replace it.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

I believe Ed is manufacturing clutch forks for a reasonable price.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Well, here is what I found...
    20180228_010650.jpg20180228_010700.jpg20180228_010743.jpg20180228_010751.jpg

The throwout bearing was about 5 years / 30K miles old. There doesn't seem to be enough bits there to make a working one.

The transmission itself seems ok.
    First total failure of a UN1 T/O bearing I've ever seen and at 30K miles since install! Did you do a full clutch at that time or just replace the bearing? That must have been making an awful racket before it let go...no? Hard to see past all the gear oil but it looks like you were lucky with little collateral damage apparent.
    Rob

www.delorean.eu

My VIN:    11626

The new forks

we have the new clutch forks in production, in 8 weeks we shoot have a good stock for all delorean dealers.

www.delorean.eu
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I believe Ed is manufacturing clutch forks for a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    First total failure of a UN1 T/O bearing I've ever seen and at 30K miles since install! Did you do a full clutch at that time or just replace the bearing? That must have been making an awful racket before it let go...no? Hard to see past all the gear oil but it looks like you were lucky with little collateral damage apparent.
    Rob
    It was a full clutch replacement. It didn't need it, but I had everything apart because I was rebuilding the engine and figured I should just replace it all. And there were no strange noises. The only reason I knew something was wrong is that it got a little hard to shift into first and reverse, and there was a slight feel of engine vibration in the clutch pedal that wasn't there before.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast