FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bent clutch fork pin. How did this happen?

My VIN:    16795

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Looks like you also need to do the rear main seal.
    That goop is all gear oil. Despite having the seal replaced and the input shaft sleeved that transmission likes to leak from the input shaft. I've kind of given up on it for now. Other than making the inside of the bell housing look nasty and some occasional drips on the garage floor it doesn't seem to be causing any problems.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

With that amount of oil all around I am surprised none has gotten onto your clutch disc!
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    That goop is all gear oil. Despite having the seal replaced and the input shaft sleeved that transmission likes to leak from the input shaft. I've kind of given up on it for now. Other than making the inside of the bell housing look nasty and some occasional drips on the garage floor it doesn't seem to be causing any problems.
    The input shaft rarely leaks oil and when it does a proper size sleeve should take care of any grooving. While the transmission is out you really should try to fix that leak. Perhaps that took out your throwout bearing as I've never seen one fail at the 30K mark. You may need to replace the primary shaft to solve the leak or try another sleeve. Did you fit a new NOS seal when the sleeve was installed?
    Rob

My VIN:    03572

Not related to the original problem but I saw a photo of a boot over the clutch fork opening. I don't think I have that boot. So is it important?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    16795

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    The input shaft rarely leaks oil and when it does a proper size sleeve should take care of any grooving. While the transmission is out you really should try to fix that leak. Perhaps that took out your throwout bearing as I've never seen one fail at the 30K mark. You may need to replace the primary shaft to solve the leak or try another sleeve. Did you fit a new NOS seal when the sleeve was installed?
    Rob
    I guess you don't remember as its been a long time, but you did the sleeve and seal. The transmission is the rebuilt one that you installed for me something like 12 years ago, that started leaking like crazy from the input shaft a week after you installed it. You took it back right away and did the sleeve and seal, but that lasted maybe 3 to 6 months before it started leaking a little again. I never got around to either bugging you or dealing with it myself, so it's been like that for the last 100K miles. For others reading this, I want to make it clear that this is in no way a complaint about Rob. His service has always been great, and he's always where I send people who ask me where they can get work done on their car. When the initial leak happened without my having to even ask he fixed it quickly and at no cost, including replacing the brand new clutch because gear oil had gotten all over it. Rob hasn't worked on my car recently, but that's only because I've gotten more knowledgeable (or arguably just braver) and I do everything myself these days.

I think either I had a bad clutch kit, or I put something together wrong last time. The failed bearing looks somewhere different from the new one I just installed, and the clutch plate was worn down almost to the rivets. I don't drive the car particularly hard, so it shouldn't be like that at only 30k miles. The clutch and bearing you put in lasted 60K miles even with the leak, and the only reason they were replaced was because I had the engine out for a rebuild. I probably should have tried to fix the input shaft leak then but there was so much else going on I forgot about it.

I already reinstalled the transmission. I have to do the clutch on my other car, and didn't want to risk messing something up in the DeLorean transmission and ending up without a working car. I recently installed a lift in my garage, and with that and a transmission jack removing and installing the transmission was super easy. Now that I know how easy it is to remove the transmission I'll probably pull it again soon to try to fix the leak.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Not related to the original problem but I saw a photo of a boot over the clutch fork opening. I don't think I have that boot. So is it important?
    It is a shield to help keep excessive amounts of water out of the bellhousing. The most likely issue would be the grease would wash away from the clutch fork pivot which will cause a squeak every time you apply the clutch. It's not a big problem but the noise may be annoying to some. Next time you put a clutch in you should replace any missing shields/boots or leaking seals including the grease cup seal for the fork. It is listed as NLA but we supply one with every clutch kit.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I guess you don't remember as its been a long time, but you did the sleeve and seal. The transmission is the rebuilt one that you installed for me something like 12 years ago, that started leaking like crazy from the input shaft a week after you installed it. You took it back right away and did the sleeve and seal, but that lasted maybe 3 to 6 months before it started leaking a little again. I never got around to either bugging you or dealing with it myself, so it's been like that for the last 100K miles. For others reading this, I want to make it clear that this is in no way a complaint about Rob. His service has always been great, and he's always where I send people who ask me where they can get work done on their car. When the initial leak happened without my having to even ask he fixed it quickly and at no cost, including replacing the brand new clutch because gear oil had gotten all over it. Rob hasn't worked on my car recently, but that's only because I've gotten more knowledgeable (or arguably just braver) and I do everything myself these days.

I think either I had a bad clutch kit, or I put something together wrong last time. The failed bearing looks somewhere different from the new one I just installed, and the clutch plate was worn down almost to the rivets. I don't drive the car particularly hard, so it shouldn't be like that at only 30k miles. The clutch and bearing you put in lasted 60K miles even with the leak, and the only reason they were replaced was because I had the engine out for a rebuild. I probably should have tried to fix the input shaft leak then but there was so much else going on I forgot about it.

I already reinstalled the transmission. I have to do the clutch on my other car, and didn't want to risk messing something up in the DeLorean transmission and ending up without a working car. I recently installed a lift in my garage, and with that and a transmission jack removing and installing the transmission was super easy. Now that I know how easy it is to remove the transmission I'll probably pull it again soon to try to fix the leak.
    You are right....I pulled your file. We do a lot of transmission work and I forgot about that one! We replaced the unit in late '04 and the rework in '05. I only recall sleeving two primary shafts over the years and that was the first one. Let me know what you find if you pull it down and we will work it out.
    Rob

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    It is a shield to help keep excessive amounts of water out of the bellhousing. The most likely issue would be the grease would wash away from the clutch fork pivot which will cause a squeak every time you apply the clutch. It's not a big problem but the noise may be annoying to some. Next time you put a clutch in you should replace any missing shields/boots or leaking seals including the grease cup seal for the fork. It is listed as NLA but we supply one with every clutch kit.
    Rob
    Thanks. I am replacing my clutch soon so I will get the seals.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2