FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Advice Needed: Best option for new front shocks

My VIN:    3472 (former), 1141

Club(s):   (RMDG) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Advice Needed: Best option for new front shocks

Hey all,

My current shocks are shot and leaking fluid. Speaking with my mechanic, and he in turn with Danny with DMC-CA, it sounds like there are not a lot of good options out there. so, what have folks used and would recommend to replace the front shocks?

Thanks!
    Michael Babb

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Babb View Post
    Hey all,

My current shocks are shot and leaking fluid. Speaking with my mechanic, and he in turn with Danny with DMC-CA, it sounds like there are not a lot of good options out there. so, what have folks used and would recommend to replace the front shocks?

Thanks!
    We use three different setups depending on desired charachteristics and owner budget. PM for details on all of them.
    Rob

My VIN:    16409

Ed Uding offers these shocks for sale:

https://www.delorean.eu/catalog/prod...ducts_id=95038

image.jpg
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    10353

You can have my old ones...oh wait I threw them away immediately!
    I went with coilovers but I would think any of the well known vendors will have great setups. Depends on how much you want to spend I suppose.

My VIN:    4675, 4190, 3114 and others

Club(s):   (DMA) (DMWC) (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Delorean Front Shock

Micheal,

Delorean front shock have been a problem for me for years. On the 4 Ds that I have restored, I have found that they front shocks appear to be too short. This results in the pre load on the front springs when they are installed. This preload may be by design to stiffen up the front suspension with the thought that it might improve handling. However, my experience has not found this to be true.

On two of my Ds (both V8s) I have replaced the front shock with ones from the "4 wheel Parts" shop here in LV. I simply took the stock D shock there and asked what they had that was a bit longer when fully extended. About 21.5 inches -if I remember correctly. They had 3 different shocks, that would fit (white, yellow, blue). Depending on how stiff you wanted the shocks to be. The white ones were the "softest" so I chose those. I like the smooth ride in the D compared to other sport cars. I was glad to see that the D shock mounti design is very common and offers a lot of alternative.

I also liked that the front end sat about 1/2" higher when installed. This looked more like the D when it was new.

I will to find the part No. and post it.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Babb View Post
    Hey all,

Thanks!

For $50, I can sell you a kit to put QA1 coil-overs on the front with instructions. Requires removing the spring cup from the lower control arm. You would be responsible for purchasing the major components, like shocks and springs from the vendor of your choice (Jegs, Summit Racing, etc). You should expect to pay about $525 for those parts. 18 firmness settings and adjustable ride height.

This is the kit for front AND rear:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-DI...BV5J~r&vxp=mtr

DeLorean Club UK DeLoreanGo Arran's Avatar

My VIN:    1764

Club(s):   (DCH)

There are plenty of choices of shocks - we stock 4 different types!

DeLorean Europe's - this is a newly made copy of the originals - good value, and the same as the originals. - https://www.deloreango.com/us/front-shock-set.html

DeLorean Europe's "performance" version (AVO branded, make in the UK), adjustable for firmness: https://www.deloreango.com/us/front-...an-europe.html

Spax - again, also made in the UK, adjustable for firmness with 28 settings, and featuring recently improved hardware: https://www.deloreango.com/us/spax-s...ber-front.html

(We also have originals in stock).

I have Spax on my car, this for me gives the best balance of adjustability, quality and value. Horrible colour, but you can't see the front ones when installed - we've obviously sold quite a lot of these over the years.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

^
    These last two posts are all you need to know.

Do not bother xreferencing shocks, I have and the outcome is always bad.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.