FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: washer motor dead

My VIN:    05141

washer motor dead

I have to prepare for yearly technical inspection. Another Delorean owner told me they might ask to show function of the windiw washer.
    it certainly worked at some time now nothing,
    windshieldwipers activate but I hear no buzzing of a pump.
    they share the same fuse and I added water so that is not it.
    Any othe ideas? Experiences?
    I am not that equipped to do this myself. I know the pomp is in front of the front left wheel.
    Any test I can do without having to jack up the car?

Jan

Steering with power

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by john 05141 View Post
    I have to prepare for yearly technical inspection. Another Delorean owner told me they might ask to show function of the windiw washer.
    it certainly worked at some time now nothing,
    windshieldwipers activate but I hear no buzzing of a pump.
    they share the same fuse and I added water so that is not it.
    Any othe ideas? Experiences?
    I am not that equipped to do this myself. I know the pomp is in front of the front left wheel.
    Any test I can do without having to jack up the car?

Jan
    Most likely you need a washer motor. The washer bottle housing does not seal well and takes on water in the rain. It has tiny drain holes which often plug up allowing the motor to sit in water for extended periods. Enlarging the drain holes to at least 3/16" when replacing the motor should prevent a recurring failure.
    Rob

My VIN:    3937

It could just be the connector is unplugged. There was an owner just the other day troubleshooting why his fuel pump wasn't working and it was because one of the electrical connectors got left unplugged in that front left corner while he was in doing washer bottle work. Maybe yours is the same thing, just in reverse?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    It could just be the connector is unplugged. There was an owner just the other day troubleshooting why his fuel pump wasn't working and it was because one of the electrical connectors got left unplugged in that front left corner while he was in doing washer bottle work. Maybe yours is the same thing, just in reverse?
    We've replaced more washer motors than I can count and have never come across a connection based failure but there's always a first time.
    Rob

Not a self styled 'Guru'

The washer pump motors are notoriously crap. I just replaced mine a couple of weeks ago for the third time since I have owned the car. For a part that is very seldom used you would expect them to last more than 5 minutes.

image.jpg
    DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
    The Future's DeLorean Club

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWard View Post
    The washer pump motors are notoriously crap. I just replaced mine a couple of weeks ago for the third time since I have owned the car. For a part that is very seldom used you would expect them to last more than 5 minutes.

image.jpg
    Enlarge your water drains and seal rear water jar casing and they'll last at least ten minutes....maybe longer!
    Rob

My VIN:    Midproduction

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Enlarge your water drains and seal rear water jar casing and they'll last at least ten minutes....maybe longer!
    Rob
    This was my fix two years ago and I haven't had any issues since.

Not a self styled 'Guru'

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Rob
    I did that this time round, I noticed the drain holes in the bottom of the bucket we're A) blocked with crud, and B) no larger than a pin hole. They have now been greatly enlarged.

I will hold out hope for the new washer pump motor lasting at least 10 minutes
    DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
    The Future's DeLorean Club

My VIN:    05141

I nevervuse this washer as qI will not drive when it rains unless I havd to and I keep the car very clean. Every now and then efore washkng the car I test this and it always worked fine.

I will remove the pump and test the pump. Good tip aboutbthe drain holes, thank'you guys!

Jan

Steering with power