Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
If the motor has not actually run you may only have damaged the bearings. Examine the crank and cylinders and you should be OK with new main and con rod bearings. Of course you must figure out why the oil pump isn't pumping oil. When you removed the oil did you measure how much came out?
I admit I assumed that I wasn't going to be able to find bearings for this engine and would just have to replace the whole thing (gaskets are easy to find, though), but a quick check of NAPA's site showed that they are indeed available (~$90 for the set of main bearings, and ~$8 for each con rod bearing), so that's good news. That will save a lot of trouble over having to get a new motor. I want to get this deflection issue sorted before I replace the bearings, though. And as you said, this is all moot if the oil pump doesn't work, so I'll be taking that out once the deflection is solved.

I didn't measure the amount of oil, but I still have it all in the pan that I drained it into. I'm betting it's all the oil in the system. There's a picture of that oil in another post, which is mostly filling an 8 qt pan. I can empty it into bottles to test it (or maybe I can measure it with a scale...).

Thanks!

-- Joe