My VIN:    5564

Quote Originally Posted by flyin2 View Post
    There is one for sale on EBay in Ohio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for letting me know

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Beware, one of the Tylerscoop frames on eBay appears to have been in a collision and will require repair. The second one looks good.
    Last edited by dn010; 03-16-2018 at 10:37 AM.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Like most automotive frames, the stock frame on a Delorean is nothing more than various pieces of metal welded together to a specific design, nothing more, nothing less. Unfortunately, DMC's engineers decided to use 16 gauge metal coated with that horrible epoxy!

As others have stated on the thread with your frame pictures, the area at issue on your frame should be able to be repaired by an experienced welder for a fraction of the cost of a replacement frame and a fraction of the time associated with a frame swap. The original frames on our cars are not that great to start with, hence a qualified welder will most likely be able to repair the trailing arm bracket to "better than new" strength and quality. Most used frames that are available have some areas of rust / damage. Thus, you will likely get a used frame that needs repairs to different areas than the frame you already have.

When I purchased 4194 in the summer of 1998 the engine was practically ready to fall out due to a rotted engine cradle. I subsequently had an auto body shop with a qualified welder basically fabricate a new engine cradle. That repair was completed in early 1999 and the repaired cradle is holding up great 19 years and 40,000 miles later. Thus, the repaired cradle has now well outlasted the original!

Andrew
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

frame

It's hard to believe I did a frame swap back in 1988!
    Kapac still had new frames for 1100 dollars. The original
    owner lived in downtown Minneapolis. For all I know it
    may have been the first frame swap due to rust. Still
    going strong 160,000 miles later....

My VIN:    5564

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Like most automotive frames, the stock frame on a Delorean is nothing more than various pieces of metal welded together to a specific design, nothing more, nothing less. Unfortunately, DMC's engineers decided to use 16 gauge metal coated with that horrible epoxy!

As others have stated on the thread with your frame pictures, the area at issue on your frame should be able to be repaired by an experienced welder for a fraction of the cost of a replacement frame and a fraction of the time associated with a frame swap. The original frames on our cars are not that great to start with, hence a qualified welder will most likely be able to repair the trailing arm bracket to "better than new" strength and quality. Most used frames that are available have some areas of rust / damage. Thus, you will likely get a used frame that needs repairs to different areas than the frame you already have.

When I purchased 4194 in the summer of 1998 the engine was practically ready to fall out due to a rotted engine cradle. I subsequently had an auto body shop with a qualified welder basically fabricate a new engine cradle. That repair was completed in early 1999 and the repaired cradle is holding up great 19 years and 40,000 miles later. Thus, the repaired cradle has now well outlasted the original!

Andrew
    Thanks for that info and I do feel much more confident fixing it for sure.