Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Frame

  1. #1
    Member gullwinger's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2016

    Posts:    44

    My VIN:    5564

    Frame

    Looking for a manual frame! Preferably on the east coast


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date:  Nov 2015

    Posts:    18

    Quote Originally Posted by gullwinger View Post
    Looking for a manual frame! Preferably on the east coast


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is one for sale on EBay in Ohio.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Member gullwinger's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2016

    Posts:    44

    My VIN:    5564

    Quote Originally Posted by flyin2 View Post
    There is one for sale on EBay in Ohio.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for letting me know


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    EFI'd dn010's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Location:  Florida: Pinellas County

    Posts:    1,468

    My VIN:    5003

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Beware, one of the Tylerscoop frames on eBay appears to have been in a collision and will require repair. The second one looks good.
    Last edited by dn010; 03-16-2018 at 10:37 AM.
    -----Dan B.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Mar 2014

    Location:  Lansing, MI

    Posts:    416

    My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

    Like most automotive frames, the stock frame on a Delorean is nothing more than various pieces of metal welded together to a specific design, nothing more, nothing less. Unfortunately, DMC's engineers decided to use 16 gauge metal coated with that horrible epoxy!

    As others have stated on the thread with your frame pictures, the area at issue on your frame should be able to be repaired by an experienced welder for a fraction of the cost of a replacement frame and a fraction of the time associated with a frame swap. The original frames on our cars are not that great to start with, hence a qualified welder will most likely be able to repair the trailing arm bracket to "better than new" strength and quality. Most used frames that are available have some areas of rust / damage. Thus, you will likely get a used frame that needs repairs to different areas than the frame you already have.

    When I purchased 4194 in the summer of 1998 the engine was practically ready to fall out due to a rotted engine cradle. I subsequently had an auto body shop with a qualified welder basically fabricate a new engine cradle. That repair was completed in early 1999 and the repaired cradle is holding up great 19 years and 40,000 miles later. Thus, the repaired cradle has now well outlasted the original!

    Andrew
    4194
    5052
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

    1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

    Solex carb and antenna television guru.

    "My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

    Posts:    742

    My VIN:    2691

    frame

    It's hard to believe I did a frame swap back in 1988!
    Kapac still had new frames for 1100 dollars. The original
    owner lived in downtown Minneapolis. For all I know it
    may have been the first frame swap due to rust. Still
    going strong 160,000 miles later....

  7. #7
    Member gullwinger's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2016

    Posts:    44

    My VIN:    5564

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Like most automotive frames, the stock frame on a Delorean is nothing more than various pieces of metal welded together to a specific design, nothing more, nothing less. Unfortunately, DMC's engineers decided to use 16 gauge metal coated with that horrible epoxy!

    As others have stated on the thread with your frame pictures, the area at issue on your frame should be able to be repaired by an experienced welder for a fraction of the cost of a replacement frame and a fraction of the time associated with a frame swap. The original frames on our cars are not that great to start with, hence a qualified welder will most likely be able to repair the trailing arm bracket to "better than new" strength and quality. Most used frames that are available have some areas of rust / damage. Thus, you will likely get a used frame that needs repairs to different areas than the frame you already have.

    When I purchased 4194 in the summer of 1998 the engine was practically ready to fall out due to a rotted engine cradle. I subsequently had an auto body shop with a qualified welder basically fabricate a new engine cradle. That repair was completed in early 1999 and the repaired cradle is holding up great 19 years and 40,000 miles later. Thus, the repaired cradle has now well outlasted the original!

    Andrew
    4194
    5052
    Thanks for that info and I do feel much more confident fixing it for sure.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •