FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Harvey's heat shield

My VIN:    5628

Harvey's heat shield

Has anyone bought Harvey's heat shield for the gas tank? How necessary to you think it is?

-Dagob

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by djdogbone View Post
    Has anyone bought Harvey's heat shield for the gas tank? How necessary to you think it is?

-Dagob
    There are a few versions of that concept out there. His is as good as anyones I'd guess. I don't have one installed (one of those maybe someday things) so I cannot say how effective they are. I know they don't hurt anything so long as you don't rill holes in the frame to attach it.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

I have one on my car, although I don't know if it is Hervey's or not. Knock on SS, I haven't had any hot gas related issues since owning the car (6+ years in Houston).
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

My car has the original prototype still installed from when Dave Bauerle (DeLorean mechanic in central Ohio) created it back in the late 80's. The 2nd reason for creating this was to divert air downward to eliminate gas vapors in the cabin area. I guess he had a problem with this when he owned my car. I have never smelled vapors (of course I have been driving with this shield in place for over 10 yrs now :-).

On a related note, I recently finally replaced my original 30yr old fuel pump because it was starting to buzz more frequently. My new Hervey unit buzzes constantly and louder than my 30yr old - used every day pump. Sigh. So I can tell you that it will NOT help reduce fuel pump buzz if you have a new Hervey unit :-) Original unit is now my backup.
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

My VIN:    02261

Club(s):   (PNDC)

There is already a thread on the subject of Hot Air Dam. It took me a while to find it as you need at least four letters in the Search box when using Advanced Search on this forum.

Delorean auto parts/ John Hervey hot air dam – How is it held into place?
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?32...eld-into-place

Oh, and it's Hervey not Harvey.
    Mark Vanyo
    Links to DeLorean related web sites!
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?19...s-Part-I-of-II.

My VIN:    5628

Hervey

iPhone autocorrect strikes again!

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

heat shield

Take a piece of cardboard and make a pattern, then go down to your local farm store and pick up some rubber belting. Mine was ten inches wide. Trace your pattern on to it, cut it out, fit in place, and fasten. Mines been in place twenty five years, no heating problems. [maybe living in MN and MT have something to do with it]

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    Take a piece of cardboard and make a pattern, then go down to your local farm store and pick up some rubber belting. Mine was ten inches wide. Trace your pattern on to it, cut it out, fit in place, and fasten. Mines been in place twenty five years, no heating problems. [maybe living in MN and MT have something to do with it]
    To clarify the air dams are generally made out of conveyer belt material (aka rubber belting). Farm supply store - great idea, I would not have though of that as a source.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    To clarify the air dams are generally made out of conveyer belt material (aka rubber belting). Farm supply store - great idea, I would not have though of that as a source.
    Maybe even McMaster-Carr?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#flat-drive-belts/=o84we2

Do you think roughly 4 feet of the 6 inch wide 4-Ply 0.187" thick would work to cut the shape from?
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    Maybe even McMaster-Carr?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#flat-drive-belts/=o84we2

Do you think roughly 4 feet of the 6 inch wide 4-Ply 0.187" thick would work to cut the shape from?
    Depends on your pattern but I believe the one on my car is more like 12" wide material.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast