FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tools to bring

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

AAA card
    Cellphone & charger
    Duct tape
    WD 40
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    Between VINs

AAA Premier card and driving past Micheal's neighborhood was all the confidence I needed.

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

In addition to the other recommendations, I would add the following:

An electrical multi-meter (I have a cheapo $5.99 Harbor Freight model in the glove box of each car)
    A small floor jack
    A can of fix a flat
    2 fire extinguishers

Back when I was running K-jet, I not only carried a spare fuel pump, but also a spare RPM relay. Both are well worth the price in peace of mind alone.

If you're going to pack your trunk full of tools like many of us do, I would recommend covering the tools with a heavy blanket as to reduce the risk of a dented hood.

Congrats on your purchase and good luck!

Andrew
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I have a really cool box that has basic tools and electric repair tools along with some hose repair tape, work light, collapsible gas can, etc. I also have a portable battery for jumping off and charging electronic devices. In other words the basics.

My extinguisher is permantly mounted behind the seat and my DeLorean specific tools are:
    A spare RPM relay. I have Dave's digital relay installed but still carry a spare.
    A jumper wire
    A spare alternator belt
    A used but working fuel pump that I keep in the back compartment.

These stay in the car at all times. That doesn't mean that if my pump fails I'm going to change it rather the call a tow, but at least I have the option of it's 2am on a Sunday morning.

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post

These stay in the car at all times. That doesn't mean that if my pump fails I'm going to change it rather the call a tow, but at least I have the option of it's 2am on a Sunday morning.
    What are you doing out so late on a school night?

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    What are you doing out so late on a school night?

Cheers
    Steven
    2am Sunday morning means it's 2 hours past Saturday night, which means all the garages are closed the "next day" and I can (and have) swapped out a fuel pump on the side of the road. The most time consuming part is the closing plate screws, all 718 of them. [Note to self, add power driver to list.]

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Thank you all for the input! I am looking forward to being a Delorean owner again... Its been a long time.

My VIN:    10907

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Look for DaraSue's 'excellent adventure' thread. She brought an entire garage with her when she did it.
    LOL, yeah, if nothing else at least I guaranteed I'd only have problems with the parts I didn't have spares of.

Here's my post in a similar thread to this one, with my original list + recent subtractions and additions: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?16...l=1#post229507

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Ok, Well, I am flying to AZ next week and driving back my 81 Delorean!! I am looking froward to this trip. Ill be traveling from Phoenix to Roswell, NM, to Houston TX, (Stopping in to visit DMCH) Then traveling home to Burlington NC. If there is anyone in-between any of these points in case I have any issues that would be great to know.

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Trying not to repeat all ready commented on great items, here are a few more for your utility belt/McGyver grab bag:
    - rags, paper towel
    - blanket or grubby clothes (if you need to lay on ground working on car on side of road)
    - flashlight, towel, garbage bag (because if you break down it is usually: at night and/or bad weather)
    - a Manly sized flat head screw driver to go with the extra Alt belt. If alone, you can use to put tension on belt with one hand while tightening bolt with other hand (unless the car has an updated belt tensioner adjuster).
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast