FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tools to bring

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Tools to bring

Hey all, I’m looking to purchase a DeLorean about 2,500 miles away, and drive it home. It’s been well maintained per the owner. Any recommendations as to any tools I should bring with me in case I have to make a repair? Just wondering what you all thought.
    Thanks.

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by hippieman9 View Post
    Hey all, I’m looking to purchase a DeLorean about 2,500 miles away, and drive it home. It’s been well maintained per the owner. Any recommendations as to any tools I should bring with me in case I have to make a repair? Just wondering what you all thought.
    Thanks.
    I brought a socket set, wrench set an a spare fuel pick up hose and fuel pump. I did not need any of them I drove 3,200 miles home. The day after I bought the car I pick up quart of oil and some 50/50 premix. Still have those unopened under the hood.
    All that stuff did make feel better and safe I had no problem carrying the tools and spare parts in my checked bag on the flight out.

Good Luck with your Purchase !
    Alex Brooks

My VIN:    2706

Bring some 125psi high pressure fuel line for the accumulator and a fire extinguisher . That's the only brake down I have had.

My VIN:    Between VINs

Look for DaraSue's 'excellent adventure' thread. She brought an entire garage with her when she did it.

Every Classic car should have fire extinguisher that you can get to quickly. I looking a getting a new that leaves no residue but they are spendy. https://www.amazon.com/Kidde-466727-.../dp/B001ECQ5NE I will probably get a larger size but this was one I could find the link to fast.
    Alex Brooks

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It's not just tools, what parts are you going to have that you would need tools to use? Some general stuff like a battery pack, some bulbs, some hand tools like screwdrivers, pliers, electrical tape, extra fuses, tire gauge, might be handy. The most important "tools" would be a AAA card, a cell phone, and a list of owners along the way. It is always iffy to pick up an unknown car and plan to drive it a long way. The best plan would be to tow it or even have it delivered. Check the tires. If they are over 10 years old don't drive it. Check the tire pressures. Cross/check the fuel with the gauge and the odometer till you can trust the fuel gauge. For the first 100 miles or so stop and check the fluid levels often. Figure 250 miles on a full tank of gas. Cross/check your odometer and speedometer against the mile markers for accuracy. Don't expect much from the radio so bring something to listen to. Watch the temperature gauge, do NOT overheat the motor. At the first sign of trouble pull over and don't overheat it. Make sure all of your paperwork is in order in case you get pulled over. That means plates, registration and insurance. A radar detector is handy as is navigation. Have a good trip.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Great! thank you for all the advice. I am a mechanic by trade and I know driving an unknown vehicle a long distance is a gamble. But Fingers crossed it will be a fun adventure!! The current owner has owned the car since 1990 and has had it maintained by DMC. He doesn't let it sit , the tires are newer. and he states its ver mechanically sound. I went over a list of the upgrades he has done to the car such as the relays and radiator and window regulators. He states everything works as it should.
    I did thank of shipping the car home, but honestly I would hate for something to be missing or damaged. So I'd rather take the time to drive it. Good excuse for a road trip!
    I was planning on taking a small tool box, with assorted tools, cell phone, GPS, iPod..to name a few things. Looking forward to this.... To be a Delorean owner once again!

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Quote Originally Posted by hippieman9 View Post
    Thanks.
    AAA - Best investment ever and a tool you carry with you at all times. Get the top tier and you get free towing up to 200 miles. Not to mention roadside assistance, battery replacement, etc.

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    3937

Print a copy of this and take it with you: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?99...l=1#post188017

I'd value bringing knowledge with you more than a pile of random parts and tools. Cell phone, Internet connection to this forum, credit card. If you say the previous owner maintained it well and drove it often, and you believe that, then don't expect anything to break. If it does, sort it out as it happens. Trying to guess what might fail on a car you said is in good condition isn't going to help. Not by bringing spare fuel pumps or window motors. If I were going to bring anything, I'd take a very basic tool pouch meant for being left in the car (Metric if you can find one) and perhaps a cigar lighter powered air pump in case the wheels go low and an assortment of the fuses that are in the car in case one goes.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

This is what I have in my car, majority of which fits hidden inside the jack storage compartment:

Socket/wrench set/wire cutters/screw drivers
    spare fuel pump
    spare hose clamps
    spare coolant hose section
    spare heater hose section
    spare fuel hose section
    fire extinguisher
    12vdc air pump
    spare wire
    jumper wire
    Electrical tape
    Fuses
    spare belts
    1 gallon coolant
    1 bottle of DOT4 brake fluid

Only one time did I break down stranded with what turned out to be a broken terminal/wire on the fuel pump and I fixed that in 5 minutes. ANY OTHER time I used these tools, it was to help someone else!
    -----Dan B.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast