FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is this 9 Pin Connector Called?

My VIN:    05457

What is this 9 Pin Connector Called?

I'm planning to install the wings-a-loft system into my car, but am trying to avoid modifying the original harness in any way. One of the install steps involves making modifications to the wires on this type of connector behind the parcel shelf:
    Untitled.jpg

I'd like to make an extension that I could plug into each side of the existing wiring, so I can then mess only with the "bridge" wiring that I am adding. Does anyone know what the official name of this connector is or where I might find it? I assume it is a standard connector, and did some googling for "9 pin molex" but couldn't find it.

Thanks!
    David Proehl

Not a self styled 'Guru'

Is this what you are looking for?
    http://www.britishwiring.com/9-Way-3...tor-p/c829.htm
    DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
    The Future's DeLorean Club

DeLorean Club UK DeLoreanGo Arran's Avatar

My VIN:    1764

Club(s):   (DCH)

It's a Lucas Rists 9-pin connector. Common on 1980s British tanks, a little bit hard to find nowadays in the 9 pin variety. I managed to find some ex-military surplus a few years ago, but all of those plug types are very hard to find now. There is an American company called "British Wiring" which carries some of them at a premium price, but not the 9-pin.

EDIT: I see Mike has posted the link - out of stock as you can see. I know who's buying them all up and why (not me!)

I think your best bet is to beg DMCH and explain why you want them, i.e. not to make mirror switches.... everything has a price - or you might find someone with a used wiring loom they wouldn't mind parting out.
    Last edited by DeLoreanGo Arran; 03-15-2018 at 01:46 PM.

Thank you both! This is very helpful! I'll try asking around about this. After you mentioned mirror switches, I found it listed here:

https://www.delorean.eu/catalog/prod...ucts_id=168082

But this is only for the male side, I don't see the female end listed. Looks like it is time to start begging.
    David Proehl

Also Arran - I just installed your window motors, they are working awesome!
    David Proehl

DeLorean Club UK DeLoreanGo Arran's Avatar

My VIN:    1764

Club(s):   (DCH)

It's not always easy to find a female when you want one

Ed may well be able to sell you both sides if you ask really nicely - I know he's having the same problems though finding these things all of a sudden.

If you do get really stuck you could always try and make something up using just the metal terminals and insulation tape (!) - the metal terminals are a little easier to find, and I have loads in stock.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Those who have completed an EFI conversion may be a good source for these. In fact, I will look to see if I have any of them laying around. I know I cut a few out of the car, where there are though, is another story. Should I find a pair, I'll gladly ship them to you but you may need new male/female terminals - as I recall, I cut the wires pretty close to the connector. I will look once I get off work and let you know, about two hours from now.
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Those who have completed an EFI conversion may be a good source for these. In fact, I will look to see if I have any of them laying around. I know I cut a few out of the car, where there are though, is another story. Should I find a pair, I'll gladly ship them to you but you may need new male/female terminals - as I recall, I cut the wires pretty close to the connector. I will look once I get off work and let you know, about two hours from now.
    Thank you! Keep me posted! I'm definitely interested. I see the British wiring site linked above also sells the terminals (at $0.45 a piece!) but at least they are available.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    03572

Those pins and connectors are 3M brand from British wiring. The connectors seem to mate OK with Lucas connectors but the pins don't work well installing the 3M pins into Lucas connectors.

Lucas connectors and pins are hard to come by these days.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Would this work for you?
    IMG_4413.JPG
    IMG_4414.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -----Dan B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast