FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Reverse lights wiring at bulkhead is cut

My VIN:    07000

Reverse lights wiring at bulkhead is cut

I’ve been wondering why my reverse lights have never worked, even with a new switch, new bulbs, and one new board (the driver side as the passenger one is still not too bad). So I took a look at the bulkhead schematics and diagram, and found the wire in the red connector, #12, is cut short- like sticking one inch from the connector, which I’m assuming was done way back before me owning this. So now I’m looking for where the lead would be coming from so I can reconnect it.

Thanks!

Greg

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Red connector has a loop on five speed cars between two pins.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    Red connector has a loop on five speed cars between two pins.
    Neutral safety switch.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Yes I was trying to describe what to look for with out mentioning a part that isn't yet should be on the car.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    Yes I was trying to describe what to look for with out mentioning a part that isn't yet should be on the car.
    So it was shoved into the hole above in number 10 - which is the auto trans kickdown switch according to the schematic. But the wire end was broken off. So I’m assuming if I get that back in to that pin, my reverse lights will or should work - even though I’m a 5 speed?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

For a 5 speed-
    Power from Fuse #16 travels through the LightGreen/White wire (Red Bulkhead #15) to the Reverse Light Switch.
    The Reverse Light Switch passes the power through the Green/Brown wire (Red Bulkhead #12) to one side of both Reverse Lights.
    Both Reverse Lights are always grounded (via the boards' Black wires).

Check out the schematic in the Resources Section HERE (Scroll almost 1/2 way down to "Tail Light Circuit").

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    For a 5 speed-
    Power from Fuse #16 travels through the LightGreen/White wire (Red Bulkhead #15) to the Reverse Light Switch.
    The Reverse Light Switch passes the power through the Green/Brown wire (Red Bulkhead #12) to one side of both Reverse Lights.
    Both Reverse Lights are always grounded (via the boards' Black wires).

Check out the schematic in the Resources Section HERE (Scroll almost 1/2 way down to "Tail Light Circuit").
    Okay that helps! I’ll check tomorrow when it’s light out.

Thanks!!

Finally got it figured out and it was simply stupid how easy it was. The light green/white and green/brown wires coming out of the red connector were cut with about two inches of wire each, and then fed back into blank holes..

Meanwhile, on the driver side of tk engine bay was the white connector from the reverse switch just sitting by itself, connected at the one end to the switch.

Why the PO or original owner cut that and took it out from the bulkhead to there is beyond me. So I crimped in some new wires to the ones on the red connector, ran it over to the driver side, put on some insulated spade connectors and removed the white one from the reverse switch, hooked it up, and now, FINALLY, I have reverse lights.

Sheesh...