FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Goodbye, cruel hood release cable

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Goodbye, cruel hood release cable

I've wanted to do this for a while and last night was enough for me - third broken cables in 16 years. I took about 30 minutes to install this electric release and it works pretty damn great. I had to cut the cable support off the bracket, I then installed some riv-nuts and bolted the motor down, it doesn't require attaching on the top of the mount- the way it's installed is perfectly sound. I do plan to install some kind of manual release should this fail but I am still working that out. Same with the release switch placement - working out where to place two of them; I will install the same motor to make the engine cover an electric release as well, this weekend hopefully.

-----Dan B.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

I want to do this as well. I ran out of aux outputs on my keyless entry though with my door poppers. I was thinking of toggling the output between the passenger side door and the trunk, haha

Do you have more information on the popper you used? Does it seem to have adequate power?

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

What I am using came from a Volvo 780 Bertone. I had a ton of them laying around at one time, they were used for the door locks and trunk release in the Volvo - I can get a number off the housing if you're interested, or if I find any of the ones I had I can send you one. It does seem to have plenty of power to open the hood latch. My challenge was to get the latch adjusted properly so that the hood would pop up a little out of it, otherwise it would unlatch and latch, not releasing the hood unless I pulled up a little on the hood while hitting the bottom. I had similar issues with the cable, always had to pull up on the corner of the hood while pulling the release otherwise the hood wouldn't come out of the latch - I guess it was set too high in the compartment.

The bracket I used is one from the 780, the other motors / poppers don't have any or have ones that are not really practical for use. You'd have to make your own bracket which should not be an issue at all for you.
    -----Dan B.

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

hood

Add a short spring to push the hood up?,,,,

I thought about that if I couldn't find another way. Turns out, the way the hood was, the latch was positioned too high up, so much that the weatherstrip wouldn't even touch the fiberglass. Now with it lowered the strip is compressed and that is all it takes to push the hood up once the latch release is hit.
    -----Dan B.