FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fuel pump noisy when been in traffic for over an hour

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    I have always wondered if a modern style of fuel cooler, as is fitted to most diesel common rail engines nowadays would be beneficial to cars that suffer from hot fuel return (not usually to much of an issue in the UK!) something like this as an example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-F...QAAOSw3v5YoUll
    As people may or may not know returned fuel from a common rail is very hot and these are fitted in one variation or another usually underneath the car to aid the cooling. I don't know exactly how or where it could be plumbed in but it may be an 'option'
    Chris
    One way to cool the fuel (cheap too) is to wrap the accumulator/dryer with a coil of copper pipe and pass the returning fuel through it. Would take a bit of plumbing to do it safely but it would seem like a good idea.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    05255

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Explain your setup? If there is no fuel return line, you're restricting this new "high power" pump to a certain PSI with no relief. The pump will continue to pump as much as it can and have no way to send that additional pressure back into the system. For instance, if it's pumping at 100PSI and you're regulated at 60, and have no way to resolve the other 40, what do you expect? The pump will run hot if it cant efficiently push against the pressure.
    Hi yes it’s same as corvette set up , the pump is a flow pump and the regulator sets the pressure , most cars are like this from around 2000 , modern ones use pwm pumps to control it ,

Quote Originally Posted by DCUK Martin View Post
    You still have a return line and it's still bringing heat back from the engine'e injector rails.
    Apparently not....!

The reason for demand-driven pumps is efficiency. Not sure why saving a few tens of watts is a big enough deal to reinvent the wheel on our 35+ year old cars but hey ho, whatever floats yer boat
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    One way to cool the fuel (cheap too) is to wrap the accumulator/dryer with a coil of copper pipe and pass the returning fuel through it. Would take a bit of plumbing to do it safely but it would seem like a good idea.
    Honestly that design scares the crap out of me, as you end up with a fuel line wrapped around the dryer only inches from the right front tire and all the road crap kicked up by the tire. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Not sure how to do it "safely" unless you come up with a way to completely shield the receiver/dryer without obstructing the tire. And it only helps with the A/C running.

There is a reason BTW that you never see copper pipe in OEM fuel systems. Copper work-hardens and will eventually crack with vibration.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Honestly that design scares the crap out of me, as you end up with a fuel line wrapped around the dryer only inches from the right front tire and all the road crap kicked up by the tire. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Not sure how to do it "safely" unless you come up with a way to completely shield the receiver/dryer without obstructing the tire. And it only helps with the A/C running.

There is a reason BTW that you never see copper pipe in OEM fuel systems. Copper work-hardens and will eventually crack with vibration.
    2x

This is a band aid fix too.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    03572

How many accumulators have you replaced because of damage from road debris?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    How many accumulators have you replaced because of damage from road debris?
    None, but they are pretty stout compared to copper tubing. And the price of failure is somewhat less significant. Do you have the tubing shielded in any way?
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

None, but they are pretty stout compared to copper tubing. And the price of failure is somewhat less significant. Do you have the tubing shielded in any way?
    Just some epoxy that holds it in place. It is soft copper so I think it would just bend if something hit it.
    Dave M vin 03572

Kunifer is fine for fuel, as it is for brake pipes and is commonly available this side of the pond.

My TVR has an in-line heat exchanger on the AC return.

http://www.powersperformance.co.uk/s...g/fuel-cooler/
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

Quote Originally Posted by DCUK Martin View Post
    Kunifer is fine for fuel, as it is for brake pipes and is commonly available this side of the pond.

My TVR has an in-line heat exchanger on the AC return.

http://www.powersperformance.co.uk/s...g/fuel-cooler/
    You own a TVR? I have sold a few of the "run sensors" for them which is a modification of my RPM relay.
    Dave M vin 03572

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast