FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Inertia Switch Wiring

My VIN:    4626

Inertia Switch Wiring

Hey Everyone,

So I did the fuel pump recall instructions and the engine still ran after pulling the plunger on the inertia switch. So I ordered a new one from DMC and went to install it. I noticed that only the two brown and white wires are still in the plug and that the purple and black ones are cut. I assume that someone maybe tried to tie into the locks with a security system a long time ago but that has been removed. Anyone know what these purple wires do exactly? What wires to i need to make the switch work properly? The only wires still in the plug that are attached to the car are the brown ones. Any help would be appreciated.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by cdmcali View Post
    Hey Everyone,

So I did the fuel pump recall instructions and the engine still ran after pulling the plunger on the inertia switch. So I ordered a new one from DMC and went to install it. I noticed that only the two brown and white wires are still in the plug and that the purple and black ones are cut. I assume that someone maybe tried to tie into the locks with a security system a long time ago but that has been removed. Anyone know what these purple wires do exactly? What wires to i need to make the switch work properly? The only wires still in the plug that are attached to the car are the brown ones. Any help would be appreciated.
    The B/P (Black/Purple) wire and B (Black) wires go to the inertia switch as the grounding part of the fuel pump circuit. The other pair of wires N/K (Brown/Purple) are for the door lock circuit. The reason the pump still runs with the plunger up is because someone cut the B/P and B wires and tied them together so they don't go through the inertia switch anymore. The N/K wires still do but they won't work either without the B wire connected to the inertia switch. Reconnect the B/P and B wires to the inertia switch. In the event of a serious accident the inertia switch is supposed to trip. When it does it shuts off the fuel pump and unlocks the doors. Refer to M:18:14 and D:04:06 in your Workshop Manual for the wiring details. As per the recall the inertia switch is supposed to be fastened to the side of the footwell, not the Lambda counter bracket.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    4626

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The B/P (Black/Purple) wire and B (Black) wires go to the inertia switch as the grounding part of the fuel pump circuit. The other pair of wires N/K (Brown/Purple) are for the door lock circuit. The reason the pump still runs with the plunger up is because someone cut the B/P and B wires and tied them together so they don't go through the inertia switch anymore. The N/K wires still do but they won't work either without the B wire connected to the inertia switch. Reconnect the B/P and B wires to the inertia switch. In the event of a serious accident the inertia switch is supposed to trip. When it does it shuts off the fuel pump and unlocks the doors. Refer to M:18:14 and D:04:06 in your Workshop Manual for the wiring details. As per the recall the inertia switch is supposed to be fastened to the side of the footwell, not the Lambda counter bracket.
    Thanks David I will give that a try. If I can find the other end of the wires....
    I have disconnected the power lock solenoid cause it was stuck in a loop but I always drive with the doors unlocked.

I have not seen that part of the recall that says to relocate the inertia switch. Do you have a link to that portion of the recall?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by cdmcali View Post
    Thanks David I will give that a try. If I can find the other end of the wires....
    I have disconnected the power lock solenoid cause it was stuck in a loop but I always drive with the doors unlocked.

I have not seen that part of the recall that says to relocate the inertia switch. Do you have a link to that portion of the recall?
    Look up SC-06-7/82. It relocates the inertia switch and replaces the early, defective ones.
    David Teitelbaum