FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Binnacles

My VIN:    1420

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Same here Stephen. Quality all the way. And thanks for signing the inside...just like a piece of art!

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    Are there any more left, so that I may purchase one?
    Stephen has said he's not making any more, but there's a gray one for sale here:

http://dmctoday.com/showthread.php?1...nacle-for-sale

My VIN:    03037

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Johnson View Post
    Same here Stephen. Quality all the way. And thanks for signing the inside...just like a piece of art!
    I agree with you! It came out like a dream. I just finished up mine today and ready to remount and here it is...

binnacle_.jpg
    ¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬
    2014 La Jolla Concours D'Elegance Volunteer
    1998 Online Gamer; Everquest, AOE, R6, WOW, SOF
    1981 DeLorean, Grey, Automatic, Flap, 12k preserved miles
    1960 Volkswagen Beetle
    1961 Cadillac Coupe DeVille - *Restoration in Progress*

My VIN:    00778 and Formerly 06770.

This may be a really dumb question, but what would be the proper way to install a binnacle back onto the dashboard? I assembled the binnacle, and attached it to the dash with the 6 mounting nuts. I then attempted to mount the driver side knee-pads and nothing lines up. The knee pads seat into their mounting holes, but are at weird angles. I've got gaps between the binnacle and the knee pads, a gap between the top of the binnacle and the dashboard near the glass, and the binnacle is facing slightly towards the floor...just enough that I can't see the headlight indicator and I have to duck my head down in order to see it. I have tried to re-align things, and move things around...something just doesn't seem right. Any ideas? Should I put the knee-pads on first, and then mount the binnacle in place? And I don't understand where the F$&* that gaiter is supposed to go. Do you even see it when the wheel is in the upright position??

Frustrated.....

My VIN:    #10213

Hi Matt,

Like so many parts on our cars, there is a lot of adjustment/play when fitting the binnacle. The holes on the fibreglass under the dash in particular are elongated and I find the best way is to mount the metal brackets to the binnacle, then sit the binnacle loosely in place and push it back towards the windscreen to close the gap with the dash so that it's even, then while holding it in place, tighten the 2 nuts underneath (closest to the front of the car) with large washers to hold it there. You may find it easier if you have someone hold it in place while you lie on your back and tighten them.
    Then the other bolts can be tightened until you are happy with them. The binnacle will sit at the same angle as an original one, however if you are not happy with this, you can fettle the brackets a little until you are or else space it up. The kneepads are something similar, there is quite a bit of adjustment in the holes, if you move them around til you are happy and then tighten them you should be able to get them to line up just fine.
    As for that gaiter thing, I think I tossed it on mine as it was a pain in the ass.
    Hope this helps Matt, I'm sure someone else will chime in too with other tips.

I'm glad to hear that the binnacles arrived safely and pretty fast too. I had been in hospital from last Thursday to Saturday (burst appendix-painful) with no internet access and had been wondering if they got there ok. AnPost seem to have a much better service, albeit a bit more expensive.

Stephen

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

sight lines

I found I couldn't see the dash unless I ducked down. So I put some 5/8" shims to turn it up.

My VIN:    4519

[QUOTE=stevie67cars;157722 I had been in hospital from last Thursday to Saturday (burst appendix-painful)

Stephen
    #10213[/QUOTE]

Hope you're feelin' better man!

My VIN:    03037

Hey Stevie, I just wanted to check in and see how you doing? I hope you're doing well and wanted to again say, thank you for making the impossible, possible! Happy Holidays!
    ¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬
    2014 La Jolla Concours D'Elegance Volunteer
    1998 Online Gamer; Everquest, AOE, R6, WOW, SOF
    1981 DeLorean, Grey, Automatic, Flap, 12k preserved miles
    1960 Volkswagen Beetle
    1961 Cadillac Coupe DeVille - *Restoration in Progress*

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by skill View Post
    Hey Stevie, I just wanted to check in and see how you doing? I hope you're doing well and wanted to again say, thank you for making the impossible, possible! Happy Holidays!
    Agreed! Still loving my binnacle! Thanks again for building these!
    David Proehl

My VIN:    SCEDT26T7BD002707

Agree, Thank you Steve

Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast