FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 LastLast

Thread: Binnacles

My VIN:    5096

I don't know how much stock they have but I got mine from VinylPro.com without issue back in September.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Finally. My hoarding pays off.

Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    16893

Finally got around to installing my binnacle from Stevie67. I had quite the adventure. Got everything put back together with the gauges installed in the binnacle, got the binnacle in the dash, and then saw there was a little piece of paper that fell down in front of the odometer numbers! I too the binnacle out, and shook the whole thing around and the paper came loose and fell someplace else (hopefully it doesn't go anywhere it will hurt anything). The binnacle looks really nice, although the mounting holes for putting the gauge cluster back in were pretty far off and took a lot of fiddling to get the gauge cluster in the binnacle. It's really great to finally not have a cracked binnacle though. It is the thing you see in front of you wherever you drive, and it was really letting the whole interior down. I also replaced most of the bulbs in the dash (auto parts store didn't have enough bulbs). One odd thing though, the "door up" light doesn't seem to work anymore. It was one of the ones I replaced, and I'm certain I used the right bulb. Any ideas?

Here are some pictures:

IMG_3137.jpgIMG_3146.jpg

My VIN:    05457

After you pulled the bulbs, did you clean the contacts on the flexible circuit? I had to clean mine a couple times. After replacing my binnacle and bulbs my battery bulb was dead. Didn't notice until I was driving to a car show and my voltage was showing around 8v. Had to miss the car show, but fixed the issue that day with some additional cleaning of my contacts on the flexible circuit and the harness electrical clips.
    David Proehl

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    After you pulled the bulbs, did you clean the contacts on the flexible circuit? I had to clean mine a couple times. After replacing my binnacle and bulbs my battery bulb was dead. Didn't notice until I was driving to a car show and my voltage was showing around 8v. Had to miss the car show, but fixed the issue that day with some additional cleaning of my contacts on the flexible circuit and the harness electrical clips.
    I didn't clean the contacts where the bulb was. It was working before I changed it though.

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by RammJaeger View Post
    I didn't clean the contacts where the bulb was. It was working before I changed it though.
    Mine was working prior as well and I had a new bulb in there. I'm just saying it is possible that the contact is a little corroded and not allowing a solid connection. May not be worth pulling the binnacle again if it isn't bothering you.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    3452

Quote Originally Posted by RammJaeger View Post
    Finally got around to installing my binnacle from Stevie67. I had quite the adventure. Got everything put back together with the gauges installed in the binnacle, got the binnacle in the dash, and then saw there was a little piece of paper that fell down in front of the odometer numbers! I too the binnacle out, and shook the whole thing around and the paper came loose and fell someplace else (hopefully it doesn't go anywhere it will hurt anything). The binnacle looks really nice, although the mounting holes for putting the gauge cluster back in were pretty far off and took a lot of fiddling to get the gauge cluster in the binnacle. It's really great to finally not have a cracked binnacle though. It is the thing you see in front of you wherever you drive, and it was really letting the whole interior down. I also replaced most of the bulbs in the dash (auto parts store didn't have enough bulbs). One odd thing though, the "door up" light doesn't seem to work anymore. It was one of the ones I replaced, and I'm certain I used the right bulb. Any ideas?

Here are some pictures:

IMG_3137.jpgIMG_3146.jpg
    Does the litle clip of paper has kind of holes in it ?
    Because, I had if this is the case the same thing, and this clip was preventing the numbers of the odometer to go up when rollin...

Quote Originally Posted by Kherns View Post
    Does the litle clip of paper has kind of holes in it ?
    Because, I had if this is the case the same thing, and this clip was preventing the numbers of the odometer to go up when rollin...
    I didn't see any holes in it.

My VIN:    4941

Quote Originally Posted by stevie67cars View Post
    Hi Matt,

Like so many parts on our cars, there is a lot of adjustment/play when fitting the binnacle. The holes on the fibreglass under the dash in particular are elongated and I find the best way is to mount the metal brackets to the binnacle, then sit the binnacle loosely in place and push it back towards the windscreen to close the gap with the dash so that it's even, then while holding it in place, tighten the 2 nuts underneath (closest to the front of the car) with large washers to hold it there. You may find it easier if you have someone hold it in place while you lie on your back and tighten them.
    Then the other bolts can be tightened until you are happy with them. The binnacle will sit at the same angle as an original one, however if you are not happy with this, you can fettle the brackets a little until you are or else space it up. The kneepads are something similar, there is quite a bit of adjustment in the holes, if you move them around til you are happy and then tighten them you should be able to get them to line up just fine.
    As for that gaiter thing, I think I tossed it on mine as it was a pain in the ass.
    Hope this helps Matt, I'm sure someone else will chime in too with other tips.

I'm glad to hear that the binnacles arrived safely and pretty fast too. I had been in hospital from last Thursday to Saturday (burst appendix-painful) with no internet access and had been wondering if they got there ok. AnPost seem to have a much better service, albeit a bit more expensive.

Stephen
    Hello
    Do you have any grey binnacles left?
    If so, how much are you charging? (Delivered to RI, USA)
    Thanks
    Charlie

Does anyone know what happened to this Project? Sent Stevie a eMail in 2016 and he never replied... :-(

My Binnacle is okay and the Original, but am afraid that it cracks one day. So want to replace it with something more durable.

Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 LastLast