FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41

Thread: Binnacles

My VIN:    05457

I think he did this as a one off. He had said at one point he never intended this to be an ongoing project for him.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian 3778 View Post
    Does anyone know what happened to this Project? Sent Stevie a eMail in 2016 and he never replied... :-(

My Binnacle is okay and the Original, but am afraid that it cracks one day. So want to replace it with something more durable.
    Probably the best thing you can do is keep a dash-mat on it and only remove it if you what to show the car at an event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian 3778 View Post
    My Binnacle is okay and the Original, but am afraid that it cracks one day. So want to replace it with something more durable.
    For now there are no binnacle replacements. So how to keep the one you have in good shape? Already mentioned is the idea of covering it most of the time.

Also consider giving it a wipedown with good quality vinyl/interior treatment once or twice a year.

Apply that to the binnacle, the dash, the A-pillar trim and all of the soft vinyl interior bits. And I DON'T use ArmorAll for this.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Bringing an ancient thread back to life...
    I bought one of Stevie67Cars binnacles back in 2014 and I’m finally getting around to installing it.
    The instrument cluster is rather misaligned though when I attempt to install it.
    I *think* if i file away at the 6:00 position where the center screw for the transparency is tabbed out that I will have clearance to push it in a little further, but I’m not sure. I also don’t want to fuck up such an expensive part that I’ve been waiting so many years to install.
    Suggestions?
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

My VIN:    05457

If you would have asked 5 years ago I probably could have told you with more certainty, but what you describe sounds right. I recall I had to do some minor adjustments as well to install mine, but I don't recall if it was for the cluster or mounts for the binnacle itself. I believe I used a drill to make a mounting hole slightly bigger to account for the fit difference. This was a hand made part so I'm sure there is slight variation from one to the next even though they came out of a mold...not to mention no part on these cars seems to fit exactly the same way in each car. Just read the thread about the Houston sender/pump combo unit and their ability to fit (or not) under the access panel. Each car is unique.

My Stevie binnacle still looks brand new, this is a fantastic part. I've been seeing posts lately about leather wrapping binnacles for $400 which reconfirms Stevie sold these at a very reasonable price. Still haven't figured out what to do with my original cracked binnacle. I should probably sell it but have no clue what a cracked one is worth.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Got it. I ended up filing the bottom edge where the cluster touches the binnacle (a little deeper at the center, and getting shallower closer to each edge) and that helped a bit. It seemed like the tabs on each side the cluster screws into were the tiniest bit off. I picked up some longer #8 screws from Lowes and once they caught the tabs they really pulled it into place. There is now only the smallest gap in the bottom corners, and it’s completely invisible when installed in the car. I only know it’s there bc I installed it.
    Great binnacle, looks like a million bucks. I’m really glad I got in on this when they were available.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

My VIN:    #10213

Hi there,
    Old thread, I have a black fibreglass binnacle for sale.
    Perfect condition, perfect fitting.

$800, shipping is $75 boxed and insured to the US

20220427_155842.jpg20220427_155832.jpg20220427_155851.jpg
    Attached Images

Wow, I just read all through this thread. What a roller coaster. I have had a similar Small manufacturing experience. My advice to Steve would have been. Figure what you think you can sell them for and than double it. The price should have been $800 right up front. Next, you should have figured out how long it was going to take and doubled that. Than you should have made it clear that is not a deadline.

I know if you had done it this way, you would have lost a lot of customers up front, but less stress and more money would have made it a pleasant endeavor.

PS, I’m amazed my barnical is still in good shape. (High mile car)

My VIN:    #10213

Binnacle now sold, thank you....

Dang. I had no idea this was even a thing. I didn't go back and read all 40+ pages, but the end product looks amazing. I would have loved to have picked up a grey one.

Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41