FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Door lock solenoid headache

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If the door switch can activate the relays in the DLM that is enough for the DLM to operate the solenoids. If the DLM can't activate both solenoids properly the problem is further "down the chain" than the switch that initiates the process. Manually pressing the relay isn't definitive because you are still using the contacts in the relay. It is possible the solenoid he put into the passenger door is no good so the best test would be to put in a known good one which is in the driver's door. I agree it is a lot of work but it will tell you what is wrong. I hate buying parts to "throw" at a problem and in the process not actually fixing it but R & R ing a lot of good parts. It is wasteful and worse, you disturb things so by the time you are done you may have introduced more problems than you are fixing. I much prefer to troubleshoot and diagnose instead of "shotgunning" by throwing parts at a problem till you get lucky. When the Central Locking System is not working well the best thing to do is to go over ALL of the adjustments in BOTH doors to get it to work correctly. It also doesn't hurt to clean and lubricate all of the mechanisms.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03572

I don't think the left and right solenoids can be interchanged.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I don't think the left and right solenoids can be interchanged.
    Good point. The parts manual does show 2 different part #'s so they are probably handed. Would still be possible to just electrically switch them and see if it feels better or worse. My guess is the problem is with the passenger mechanism and not so much with the solenoid anyway. If the mechanism is out of adjustment or is sluggish because of old, hard, dry lubrication (or the lack of any) it may be more than the solenoid can overcome. It makes a BIG difference when you take the latches out and clean them and put fresh grease on them. Makes the locks snap hard and fast! After 30 + years the grease is more like sticky glue and if it is cold it is even worse. I would tend to think it is not a solenoid problem because the poster said he put a new one in and still had the same problem. Unlikely (but possible) that BOTH solenoids are bad.

Just reread the original post. Said it worked OK till late in the season. Sounds like it got colder so it lends more credence to the cold, old grease theory. Just looked at the schematic for the DLM. There are 2 relays, one for locking and one for unlocking. That means if one door can lock (or unlock) OK the problem is not the DLM (or the wiper switch in either door). This is not a relay problem so the DLM is not the source of the trouble. BTW, as long as you are digging into the Central Locking System you might consider Elvis's upgrades to it. Upgrade the relays and lower the standby current. Add the 10 AMP in-line fuse.
    Last edited by David T; 03-25-2018 at 02:13 PM.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin 02530 View Post
    So to simplify my understanding here is that I should first clean the wipe switch in the door, then inline fuse the red wire coming from the DLM with a 10 amp fuse. Then test the relays manually, if the fuse blows my solenoids are most likely junk or the relays could be shot as well? Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, that's what I would do. You are welcome. I hope you get to the bottom of the problem. Good luck.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

just push those relays by hand and see if the solenoids work
    and if they are strong enough !

push them a second or less !

I always test them this way and the 10A fuse (that you don't seem to have )
    never burns as long as the solenoids aren't burnt inside.

My VIN:    02530

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    just push those relays by hand and see if the solenoids work
    and if they are strong enough !

push them a second or less !

I always test them this way and the 10A fuse (that you don't seem to have )
    never burns as long as the solenoids aren't burnt inside.
    I took the rods off all of the linkages in the door and moved everything individually, everything is moving freely and not binding. I did adjust the cable coming from the handle a little bit but only because it was too loose. After messing around with it some I am able to get the door to lock but not unlock. By using the paddle on the passenger door I was able to lock the driver side but then was not able to unlock it from either side. (Had to roll the window down and unlock it with the key from inside) i can also get the passenger side to lock from the driver side but not unlock. I think I have an issue with the relay at this point. Now of course this should be a simple test but one of the screw heads for the module is totally stripped and rusty. I am going to have to drill it out. I did pick up an in-line fuse holder and a few 10amp fuses to give your method a try. Thanks for all of your help so far.. going to try and get to it in the next day or so. I’ll let you know where I’m at with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2