FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Gauge needle pointing south no matter what

My VIN:    05255

Fuel Gauge needle pointing south no matter what

Another new recent problem, my fuel gauge is pointing down no matter what.
    So far I've done the following:-

I've used the multi-meter to verify that the signal from the green/black wire (for the gauge needle) beeps at the plug for the sender as it does on corresponding pin (A4) on the big white connector behind the binnacle. I then kept the multi-meter on the same sender end of the harness and tested each other pin of the binnacle connector expecting to hear another beep from another wire to indicate a short, but there were no other beeps.

I then performed the same test for the light green and orange wire (for the sender light) in the same way to the above, only to find the same outcome.

I'm pleased that there appears to be no short but stumped as to why my gauge is all of a sudden pointing south. The other gauges are all still running perfectly.

Any input or suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance

Chris

My VIN:    03572

My car had intermittent fuel gauge and it would point strait down but I have the Zilla sender unit. It turned out to be a bad connection at the sender. So you may not be looking for a short but an open. Maybe your sender has an open circuit.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    My car had intermittent fuel gauge and it would point strait down but I have the Zilla sender unit. It turned out to be a bad connection at the sender. So you may not be looking for a short but an open. Maybe your sender has an open circuit.
    Another possible place for an "open" is the flex PCB in the binnacle. That said, the sending unit has a very high failure rate. My Tankzilla was acting up so I pulled it and cleaned the wire in it. The stuff they call gasoline is VERY corrosive with even only 10% Ethanol and the steel wire corroded and was not making good contact with the wiper contact.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    3937

The open circuit failures I have seen on the fuel gauge always seem to leave the needle pointing straight up. If yours is pointing straight down, perhaps it is something other than the typical open circuit type problem?

Maybe you could dig into the area above the fuel tank and carefully remove the fuel sender for an inspection? If the float inside the sender is stuck down or something similar, it might do what you're seeing.

Also, could you post a picture of the needle on the gauge to show where it is pointing? Is it straight down or is it off to more like 5 o'clock, showing very low? Does the low fuel light come on while the needle on the gauge is pointing down?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    15190

My original fuel sender created a similar issue. After replacing it was stuck and I had to tap on the binnacle to release it.
    After I replaced the sender this never happen again.

My car does this every now and then, particularly when the fuel tank gets low. When it first happened I called the previous owner and asked if he had seen this. "Yep, it's a common issue, just fill the tank and "bump" the binnacle. I was surprised to find it worked! He claimed there was a fix where a small peg is added to prevent the gauge needle from going too far south. I don't know if this is on the level, but a firm bump does "unstick" the gas needle. Of course repeated bumping of the binnacle over time is probably not a good thing so I'm wondering if anyone else has added a mechanical stop to the gas gauge for this issue?

Ron

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

One of the best things I've ever done for my D was to remove the cluster and then drill and insert little pins to keep the gauge needles from swinging out of range and getting stuck. Before that I had to constantly beat the hell out of the binnacle to get them to respond-not anymore. As stated it can also be that the sender is bad. Or, like for me, my gauge stopped responding so I replaced my DMCH sender with another DMCH sender only to have a non-working gauge still. It turned out to be a bad ground connection in the front wiring harness.
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    One of the best things I've ever done for my D was to remove the cluster and then drill and insert little pins to keep the gauge needles from swinging out of range and getting stuck. Before that I had to constantly beat the hell out of the binnacle to get them to respond-not anymore. As stated it can also be that the sender is bad. Or, like for me, my gauge stopped responding so I replaced my DMCH sender with another DMCH sender only to have a non-working gauge still. It turned out to be a bad ground connection in the front wiring harness.
    Dan,
    OK, good to know. Do you recall what you used for pins? Would you have a close-up photo of the fuel gauge?

Thanks for the help.
    Ron

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I don’t recall what I used, maybe I cut down a paper clip. I did this 16 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    I don’t recall what I used, maybe I cut down a paper clip. I did this 16 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the response and the photo. This is very helpful.
    Ron

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast