FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: New Steering Linkage

New Steering Linkage

I made a new steering linkage last night.

9/16" x 36 spline to 3/4 DD U joints from Car Builder Solutions. $100 with shipping from UK. Apparently they are used on Ford kit car, I think the spline is also the same on a Triumph.

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/...splines-34-916

3/4 DD steering spline from Summit

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hdt-sc-209-dd $30 with shipping. I cut mine to 12 7/8" long. I also had to notch the shaft so the bolt could key into. All done with an angle grinder.

IMG_9301[1].jpgIMG_9309[1].jpg

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Any updates? How did it go in? has it worked well?

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    Any updates? How did it go in? has it worked well?
    No issues. I have only put about 200 miles on it. The joint is solid. I can't imagine it breaking.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

The original assembly can telescope shorter slightly to aid in installation, same here?

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    The original assembly can telescope shorter slightly to aid in installation, same here?
    Yes, it has telescope to in order to assemble it. You will have to cut the bar stock down to a length that allows for this.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like one of the bolts is short. If it is too short the nylock plastic part of the nut won't keep the bolt secure and it could potentially work itself loose. Good practice calls for at least one thread to protrude past the nut.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like one of the bolts is short. If it is too short the nylock plastic part of the nut won't keep the bolt secure and it could potentially work itself loose. Good practice calls for at least one thread to protrude past the nut.
    True... I had to loctite with short bolts to keep from hitting the frame and coolant line. I think my pic is before loctite. I need to go back with smaller nuts to get a little more clearance.