FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: 2.8L Heads

My VIN:    10484

2.8L Heads

I am currently in the process of putting together a PRV engine with a 3.0L block, and 2.8L Heads / crank.

Unfortunately when I acquired my car the 2.8 had a hole in the VOD which prompted the strip-down of the relatively low-mile engine... but in doing so, I managed to snap off a number of bolts on the heads (all 4 intake bolts, most of the passenger side exhaust bolts, plus a couple more misc bolts). I now realize that the cost associated with extracting these bolts and repairing the threads / installing inserts is likely going to be more than the heads are worth. The aluminum on this block and on the heads is in terrible shape - even both of the engine mounts on the lower crankcase snapped in two when I attempted to pull the engine, then pretty much proceeded to turn to dust in my hands!

Anyhow - just checking if anyone has a clean set of 2.8L heads for sale. Would love to find a set of reworked heads to save me some time, but would also be interested in a decent pair to be rebuilt. The valvetrain and cams from my heads are fine, so that is not a requirement.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Are you sticking with the stock fuel system or going a different route? Because you mention the crank I'm guess you are sticking with the odd-fire K-jet, but I am asking for clarification because I have two pairs of EFI heads in case you had different plans for your engine build.
    Last edited by dn010; 03-28-2018 at 09:54 AM.
    -----Dan B.

Hi Dan - yes the plan at this point is to stick with the odd-fire K-Jet system

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Sounds like a very interesting project! I know that Farrar recently installed a 3.0 in his car and used the 2.8 cams in the 3.0 heads. On his swap Bill drilled out the distributor hole from the 3.0 heads and also added a hole on for a mechanical fuel pump. However, the swap will be much easier using the 2.8 heads. However, have you verified that the 2.8 heads will bolt up to the 3.0. Also I was under the impression that the 3.0 had a wider intake valley, thus will the stock K-Jet manifold bolt up, or will you have to fabricate adapter plates?

Finally, have you determined what even-fire distributor assembly you are going to use? On Farrar's car, Bill used a modified AMC distributor; however, I would think that a Bosch unit such as one sourced from an even-fire Alfa Romeo or BMW could be adapted to work.

Keep us posted!

Andrew
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I am taking this post as he is just using the 3.0 block and pistons/liners. Everything else (crank) is stock 2.8 odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -----Dan B.

Yep the plan is to essentially substitute the block itself for the 3.0 L block (w/Pistons and liners as Dan mentioned). The crank, rods, heads, and everything else will remain from the 2.8 so it will still be an odd fire engine. I have spoken with another owner on this forum who has successfully done this so his advice has been extremely helpful. Yes the 2.8L heads bolt up.. I am not aware of any issues with the valley measurements.

The one gotcha with this arrangement is matching the 2.8 rods to the 3.0 Pistons which have a slightly larger wristpin.

My VIN:    891, 1045

Still looking for a set of heads? I've got a set of heads sitting on a spare block I've got sitting around.
    -James . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise." ~ H.P.G.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle-co94 View Post
    Still looking for a set of heads? I've got a set of heads sitting on a spare block I've got sitting around.
    Yessir I am... Pm sent